Ingram

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Bayou Bengal11, Sep 16, 2013.

1. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

He's done. He's a bum. The Saints have younger, healthier, cheaper running backs. That staff is great at finding diamonds in the rough.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

A running backs shelf life isn't much longer than 5 years these days for the most part. It's crazy how much that postion has changed.

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

The NFL average is 3 years for a RB, I think.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

3 year average for a tailback. Ingram's career will last longer though because he never played a full season I don't think and was in a system with multiple backs. Someone will pick him on the cheap, and he may do ok, he just doesn't fit in this offense. A tailback with hands made of bricks has no business lining up behind Drew Brees.

b_leblanc likes this.
  5. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

He needs to go back to bama and be a grad assistant. Free up some cap space for the saints.

6. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

I doubt he's going anywhere so you haters may be in for disappointment. He's not getting the extension simply because the salary for the 5th year is way out of line with what free agent RBs are currently making. If he picks up where he left off at the end of last season, the Saints may offer him a new multi year deal after the season. He played in only 8 games last year. One of them was a monster game (Dallas), one was a good game (2nd Carolina game). Considering that Thomas, Robinson, and Cadet are all coming back too, there's not any need for him to be a premier back. If he does his part in running back by committee that's all that's needed. That's not really his style, he does better when he gets 20+ carries but if he has a good season in 2014 there's no reason to get rid of him. You can never have too many running backs.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  7. old school

old school Veteran Member

Considering the Saints traded up to get Ingram I consider him a bust up to this point. He did well late last year because he was playing terrible rush defenses and/or the blocking was terrific in those games. I think Pierre Thomas is clearly a better back in every facet of the game. It blows my mind when we put Ingram in on short yardage situations as if he is a big powerful back. He can't find a hole, he can't jump over the pile and he isn't moving the pile. I hope we can find a better option to replace him in the future.

LaSalleAve and ROY_LA_CA like this.