Initial thoughts on our 1st SEC game...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

Defense had a really good game plan against this particular team. I still think we are not great on defense, however. State moved the ball at will and it was mostly Leach's refusal to run the ball when LSU was daring him to do it that prevented State from being up by 2 TDs in the first half. But we cut way down on the big plays until the end of the game and keeping the ball in front and forcing them to be patient worked quite well

Offense...below average. We hit some big plays on totally busted coverage, which is a perfectly acceptable way to score, but against the better teams, this ain't gonna cut it. Can't run the ball. Can't protect the passer. Max is doing fine and Boutte is a machine. Bech is also really good. But it starts up front and if we can't sustain drives against teams like Ole Miss, Florida, and Alabama, and Arkansas (did I really just say that) we are in trouble.

Overall, I think this is an 8 win team. Not horrible, but not great. Next year Orgeron will be coaching for his job.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Biggest hope is we’re on an exponential trajectory. We looked like the better team at the close of the 3rd quarter, albeit with some luck. This was a step up in competition from CMU and we passed the test. Plenty to work on still. Aubie next step up.

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

8 wins is probably good enough. Maybe with another year and a real OL class we’ll make big strides.

4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Maybe the game plan today was to try to run on early downs and then take shots downfield. It seems like that what was happening.

I’m not complaining too much. It worked. It just didn’t seem fluid. Man if we can’t run, that o line won’t hold up for the rest of the season.

5. Brian

Brian Founding Member

You thought he played great? How in the world? That low pass to Bech you can't have in a critical moment of the game. That's where you ice it. He gave them life. Yes he had some drops and our protection isn't great, but you can't possibly say he played great. Especially when that Kole touchdown was likely an interception. He struggles with an strength. There's a lot of issues there. I think it's clear Brennan would have started the season which I felt all along.

No knock on Max. Burrow had to improve his arm strength for years on the bench, too.

6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

#5 Iowa is the strangest thing about your post.

StaceyO likes this.
  7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I saw a 5 on tv maybe it's 15 who cares they are in a fight with CO St.

mancha likes this.
  8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

You aren’t wrong. It is just an odd thing.

* and they will hold on to that

9. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Iowa is rated #5 just looked. What's strange?

10. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Look ⬆️