Integration at Southern and LSU, Should we keep trying?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LOTTERY, Jul 26, 2004.

1. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

MFn, you have a good point and that is something that needs to be addressed. I've noticed that jobs that at one time didn't require high school diplomas now require bachelor degrees. Unemployment will rise, if change doesn't occurs. CParso, I said both LSU and SU must do more. Segregation is not good both ways. That is what I've been stressing. I'm against white and black universities but im for American universities that consist of all races. Neither LSU or SU is doing something wrong, but i think it might be a better America if integration was seen as important. Sometimes I even question that point myself. I do know one thing, we are all Gods children and are all equal. I heard on 94.1 they were talking about this letter a girl from St. Joseph wrote about her conflict with liking a guy of the opposite race from Capitol b/c her parents were not friends of black people. You don't think integration might help decrease these types of situations. Like I said, I might be wrong.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Lottery, I agree with your view that America is for the better with integration, but I also think people need to have the choice of where they want to attend. And as long as "racism" exists, whites are gonna want to be around whites - blacks are going to want to be around blacks. By racism, I mean that we view people by race - not necessarily we dislike them or whatnot. Just that we distinguish between races. Which I think will always be the case because it is human nature to classify things and put people into groups.

3. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

You have a good point.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

So what do you think is the best option? Just making the schools as open to each race as possible? And recruiting at every high school, regardless of majority race? These things don't seem like they would cost that much money...

5. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

That sounds right. But both schools I believe have made half efforts to recruit other races. Sound recruit practices sounds like a good option.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

why?

7. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

Because they are PUBLIC, tax funded institutions that should look out for common good, good of blacks, whites, asians, exc. If LSU or SU becomes private then they may have an argument.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That is partly because SU Law School is easier to get into. I know that from personal experience.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

if people don't want to attend then how is it better? just because you want it to be more diverse against the free will of the people already choosing then I'm not sure you're helping anyone yet forcing your own beliefs of what you deem is right.

Let people make their own decisions. you cannot force people to like one another or fry fish together by putting them in the same neighborhoods, schools or jobs. Each should do what's best for each individual's needs....free will is a tad more important than a mirage of diversity.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i still dont understand. why not just care about people regardless of color, independent of "diversity"? what does the common good have to do with diversity? let whomever chooses to go somewhere go there and that is freedom. isnt freedom good for the common good. if blacks want to go to southern and not LSU, isnt that ok? isnt that freedom?