Interesting article from Peter King of SI.com

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerLifer3, Jan 10, 2004.

1. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

its about Nick Saban and his LSU contract:

Saban staying at LSU

Richest coaching contract in NCAA history trumps Bears' offer

Posted: Saturday January 10, 2004 5:39PM; Updated: Saturday January 10, 2004 5:41PM

By Peter King, SI.com

Nick Saban spurned the Chicago Bears Saturday afternoon, deciding to stay as coach of LSU for a chance to win a second national championship in 2004.

Saban chose the LSU job -- where he won the Bowl Championship Series title with a 21-14 victory over Oklahoma last week -- over an offer from the Bears that wasn't good enough to make him leave.

Although some details with LSU remain to be ironed out, Saban will agree to the richest contract ever given a college football coach. The deal will be for between six and eight years, at approximately $2.75 million per year, according to a source with knowledge of the negotiations between LSU and Saban's agent, Jimmy Sexton.

Saban decided to announce he was staying at LSU before the deal was done for a couple of reasons. One, he couldn't afford further damage to his recruiting class, which is slated to be one of the best in the nation this winter. Two, he came to the realization that the Bears likely wouldn't up the ante to the ballpark of what a marquee coach deserves to make in the NFL today, about $4-4.5 million a year.

Saban had a 5 p.m. CT press conference scheduled in Baton Rouge, La., to announce his decision to stay.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Screw Mr. "I bet a bowl of Gumbo and my house Saban is the next coach of the Insert NFL team here" King

I hate that guy..

3. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

The media seems to be playing the money card a lot. Does anyone think it really had anything to do with the money? I really don't. I think Saban is much more classy than that. But, apparently, money is all the matters these days.

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Yeh thats what the media is going to do now.

They wont admit HE WANTS TO STAY AT LSU because of the program, Louisiana and its fans.

Its because they did not give him enough money. I cannot stand the media.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Saban said the meeting between him and Angelo was not about taking the coaching job at Chicago. He had already told Angelo he was happy at LSU. Saban is too classy to out and out lie like that.

6. Ole War Skule

Ole War Skule Founding Member

If we didn't have to put up the money and we did, we're much dumber than the media suggests....we DID have to put up the money...Nick's great, but when he says it's not about the money, what he means is that he has the best contract in the NCAA, but he will also require other things.....

He means that he wants MORE than the biggest contract, not ONLY the biggest contract or that money isn't an absolute requirements...it is.

If we've given him a 3mm contract and we could have got him with a 1mm contract, we really are numbnuts..

The media is going to play us as numbnuts regardless....bottom line is we got the coach that is hottest in the USA right now and that's going to make many people jealous.

7. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

It's just the media making up stories to cover their asses. You really think they'd print "We were wrong. We just assumed that the talks were about a contract offer...."