Interesting Article on Perilloux

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Jan 24, 2005.

1. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

I didn't know he was shot when he was 14. Kid is lucky to be alive.

Perrilloux' enjoying the recruiting trail

Multi-talented quarterback Ryan Perrilloux knows that by this time next week, he'll have made what will likely be the biggest choice of his young life.

One of, if not the top-rated signal-calling prospect in the nation, Perrilloux has spurned most of his suitors, leaving only Texas, Mississippi State and home-state team LSU as those with the opportunity to land him.

Some high school seniors don't like the blitz of schools and media, but Perrilloux basks in its glow.

"It's awesome," he said. "It's a great feeling just to know that I can make a difference in someone's program, that they want me, that they're working hard to get me."

TOUGHEST TIME OVER

Perrilloux nearly didn't get to this place and time.

A prankster, who liked to have fun with his sister, Ryan said an unfortunate turn of events nearly ended his dream - and his life.

Having gotten a call that his sister was coming home from the movies and a request to open the door for her, Ryan decided to surprise her. He snuck around the house and planned to scare her as she knocked.

He never got the chance. Spooked but what he must have seen as a possible attack, the car's driver shot at Perrilloux twice and hit him once. The bullet went through is lungs, liver and stomach and came very near his heart.

"I took off my shirt and there was a hole in my back the size of a golf ball," he recalled. "I went crazy and got out of breath."

When his mother saw him lying on the ground, football was the furthest thing from her mind.

"I just wanted him not to die," she said. "Looking at him on the ground, I was thinking about him living out the rest of his life and not dying so soon."

Only 14 at the time, Perrilloux spent just three weeks in the hospital.

Considering himself lucky, he went back to playing sports, but just four months later he tore up his knee in a basketball game.

The combined downtime gave him a chance to reassess his priorities.

A TIGER TALE?

Perrilloux' skills on the football field became one of legend. Though his team did not capture a state title, everyone knew that when his team hit the field, the offensive fireworks would follow.

He ran for 37 touchdowns and threw for 30 more his senior year and had over 5,000 total yards.

He gave a verbal commitment to the Texas Longhorns, but even a Longhorns' website lists it as a "soft verbal" commitment.

His mother is on record as saying she'd love him to ply his trade at the state school, as would thousands of Tiger fans. They may have to wait until next week's signing date, but Perrilloux has indicated that he would make his decision after his trip to LSU.

No matter what he chooses, he's as comfortable wading the recruiting waters as he is wading through would-be tacklers on the field.

Nothing can be that much of a burden for him, considering what he's survived.

"Looking at what lies in the future, I'm going to be alright," he said with a smile. "Because I've already been through the hump in the road. All

2. Carface

Carface What the...?

C*** tease :wink:

3. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

My question is who was the driver of the car that dropped his sister off and what was he doing with a gun? Maybe he lives in a real rough neighborhood.

Regardless, glad to see he pulled through it.

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Founding Member

Okay, that story is just odd. I'm not disparaging anyone or making any accusations, I'm just saying that the story, as posted, makes no sense. First of all, who calls ahead to have someone open the door? Secondly, who drops a girl off and then starts taking shots at people from the car? Bizarre. Of course I'm glad nobody was killed, and I don't know that anything shady was involved, but there's got to be a little more to that story.

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Well, my dad used to have my sister call the house 5 minutes before she arrived when she would go out at night. He would unlock the door for her and wait to make sure she got in the house safely. It was just a matter of security. Some rapists will follow young women home and abduct them when they get out of their car. I fully understand that part. The shooting seeemed a bit odd, but come to think of it a lot of people that live in bad neighborhoods keep guns in their cars. So I can see where he may have seen Perrilloux stalking in the dark and pulled out his gun in fear of a rapist.

6. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I read this story awhile back and thought it was odd also. After RP scares his sister she then figures out that it is her brother, then why would someone pull a gun out of their car and just start shooting, without warning and without asking questions.

I'm sure that there are some small details in the story that might clear it up, but it is a strange story.

7. oldbeachcomber

oldbeachcomber Freshman

The story is true as it was reported. Everyone that gave info to the police
    has been sticking to the story. My ex room mate is with the DA's office and still
    can't explain why no charges were filed. Seems the BF had no permit to carry a gun. That should have been a charge, the only reason I was told was that no charges were filed by RP's family!

8. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Well, the story says he never got a chance to scare his sister...

....so I'm guessing Rp was just spotted hiding in the dark along side of the house, looking like he was gonna attack his sister. The driver probably noticed him and shot first then asked questions.

9. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Still going to Texas

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Still coming to LSU