Interesting Article on Perilloux

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Jan 24, 2005.

1. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Link?

Link?

Correction. He "is committed to Texas" per numerous articles that I am sure you can find by simply clicking on his name on Rivals/Insiders.

And on National TV I saw him flashing the Hook'em Signs several times.....

2. MarineTiger

BTW, if RP does sign with LSU....it wouldn't blow me out of the water.....I just haven't read anything to show me that he is thinking about it.

When I asked for the links above....I actually want to see them so as I see something positive for LSU.

3. BB

BB Founding Member

I'm sure this was posted somewhere, but it tells a similar story...

Perrilloux pledged to UT, but still in play

UT has QB's oral pledge, but he's still playing the field

12:17 PM CST on Thursday, January 13, 2005

By BEN SHPIGEL / The Dallas Morning News

LaPLACE, La. – On a really wild night, Ryan Perrilloux might stretch his tattooed frame across the living room couch and watch a cartoon.

Could be anything on the Disney or Cartoon networks, or, if he's feeling ultra-rebellious, he might slip in one of his favorite movies: Anastasia, Pocahontas or The Land Before Time.

"They're my niece's, actually," Perrilloux said. "But I watch them more than she does."

Full disclosure: Those are the second-most watched videos in Perrilloux's home, right behind the highlight tapes that showcase the jaw-dropping talents of USA Today's Offensive Player of the Year.

By the dozen, college coaches have driven rented Cadillacs and Lincolns 30 miles northwest of New Orleans to this Bayou town dubbed the Andouille sausage capital of the world. They all want to lure this 6-2, 220-pound specimen who has drawn comparisons to Donovan McNabb for his mesmerizing blend of arm strength, scrambling skills and 4.49-second speed in the 40-yard dash.

To the astonishment of LSU supporters, in late July, Perrilloux (pronounced PAIR-uh-loo), who attends East St. John in next-door Reserve, spurned purple and gold for burnt orange, making a non-binding oral commitment to Texas.

Of course, an oral commitment is less firm than a signature, and colleges continue courting a player who easily throws the ball 85 yards, produced nine touchdowns in the first half of an Oct. 15 game and, in 2004, accounted for 5,006 yards of total offense (a Louisiana season record) and 69 touchdowns.

"I've coached Doug Flutie and Major Harris in the Canadian Football League," said East St. John football coach Larry Dauterive, a 36-year coaching veteran who spent 1990 as the British Columbia Lions' offensive coordinator. "And they're nothing close to Ryan Perrilloux. What he can do with a football defies logic."

Perrilloux, the No. 18 prospect in the nation according to Rivals.com and the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback, is Texas' highest-profile recruit since the Longhorns signed quarterback Vince Young in 2002.

He's perhaps the most important one, considering the state's five blue-chip quarterbacks last year – Grand Prairie's Rhett Bomar (Oklahoma), Brownwood's Kirby Freeman (Miami), Ennis' Graham Harrell (Texas Tech), Burnet's Stephen McGee (Texas A&M) and Galena Park North Shore's Robbie Reid (Oklahoma State) – went elsewhere. Although Tuscola Jim Ned's Colt McCoy has pledged his services, most pencil in Perrilloux as Young's successor.

Assuming he winds up in Austin.

Since he committed – a decision made too hastily, said his mother, Barbara "Bobbie" Breaux – Perrilloux has reveled in playing the recruiting game. His commitment weeded out the contenders from the pretenders, and the schools that believed they had a chance – seven, possibly eight, only Perrilloux knows – have stuck with him.

When discussing his college plans, Perrilloux often punctuates responses with a booming, high-pitched cackle that reveals exactly how much he enjoys the attention. Which is a lot. He refers to coaches as "sir" because that's how his mother raised him, but he knows how talented he is and, thus, can afford to tell people what they want to hear.

Perilloux's not indecisive. In fact, he's just the opposite. His recruitment is a mini-series, and the final episode airs Feb. 2, national signing day.

"I love keeping people on their toes," Perrilloux said. "Everybody that calls me has a shot. If Oregon State's [fan] Web site calls me, they've got a shot. If Kansas' Web site calls me, they've got a shot, too."

Early start

At 2:50 a.m. on Jan. 1, 1987, Breaux delivered the first boy of the new year at Charity Hospital in New Orleans. Perrilloux was a big ol' baby – 8 pounds, 14 ounces – and four weeks after he was born, he was photographed with a football resting in his lap.

"It could have been a teddy bear or an animal," Breaux said. "But I was drawn to that football for some reason."

When Perrilloux was 7, a football coach driving by noticed him playing basketball and asked if he'd like to play for a new team, the Force Fighters. That initial football season birthed the first highlight tape.

"Ryan always wanted to win," Breaux said. "If his team lost, he'd be the only one crying and screaming and cutting up. A lot of parents couldn't understand that, but he's just always wanted to win that bad."

A professed "ball hog," Perrilloux cultivated his competitiveness playing basketball, and at 12 was voted Mr. Biddy Basketball as the national organization's best player.

He spent seventh and eighth grades at John Curtis Christian, which has won 19 state championships, including three of the last four, with a run-dominated offense. But Perrilloux's family felt it would be best for him to transfer to a school that would feature his blessed right arm.

Enter East St. John, whose football program needed a boost. He started at quarterback his freshman year and struggled behind a shaky offensive line. However, the aches and pains he endured as a human pinball couldn't compare with what awaited him in the coming months.

Around 2 a.m. on Dec. 27, 2001, Perrilloux, then 14, played a practical joke on his older sister, Kidada Scott, who was coming home from a Christmas party. He crept outside and jumped from the darkness, unaware that a man accompanying Scott was carrying a gun.

The man fired two shots. The first missed. The second tore through Perrilloux's right side, just beneath his armpit, and sliced through his lungs, diaphragm, stomach and liver before exiting his left side. It missed his heart by a half-inch. Breaux said she decided not to press charges because Perrilloux recovered from the wounds.

He spent three weeks in the hospital recuperating and another two at home before returning to school. He lifted weights and gulped high-protein drinks to regain 30 pounds. Still lighter than ever, Perrilloux returned to the basketball court in early March and attempted a dunk in an AAU game. He landed awkwardly, tearing the anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in his left knee.

Perrilloux's doctor told him that he could possibly return in time for the football playoffs, in early November. He played Sept. 5.

"During the summer," Dauterive said, "Ryan had a crutch in his left hand and he'd be throwing with his right."

Flavor of the day

Message boards go haywire at the latest Perrilloux news, of which there has been plenty.

Every time someone asks him to gauge the odds of his signing with Texas or LSU, he throws out a percentage. Sometimes 70-30, sometimes 60-40, always whatever he feels like. Upon returning from his visit to Texas on Dec. 19, Perrilloux said he was 100 percent committed, which had a brief calming effect on the recruiting hounds.

The most recent development in the Perrilloux saga came at 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 2, when an LSU booster called Dauterive to tell him that new coach Les Miles wanted to meet with Perrilloux immediately. The next day, Perrilloux drove up with Dauterive, his mother and his sister, and at the 90-minute meeting changed his final official visit, Jan. 28-30, from Miami to LSU.

"Two weeks ago, I would have told you that LSU was out of the picture," Dauterive said. "Now they're right back in."

Perrilloux surprised his family by committing to Texas the day after returning from the Elite 11 quarterback camp in California. His original plan was to wait until signing day, but he said he wanted to commit then to "get people off my back."

"We discuss everything as a family," Breaux said. "Ryan committed then, and that was fine, but we talked about it and he promised that he'd keep his options. Now that the season's over, we have a clearer picture of things."

No waiting

The main criterion, Breaux said, is the opportunity for immediate playing time. She and Perrilloux's stepfather, Phillip Breaux, have evaluated the quarterback depth chart at each school.

"I can't see a player like him sitting down," Phillip Breaux said. "I've never seen him sit."

Added Perrilloux: "Every school that I'm looking at, I feel I can come in and either start or compete for the job. When I come in, I'm coming in fast, strong, accurate, everything a quarterback's supposed to be. I'll be playing or breathing right down the quarterback's neck."

Perrilloux, who said he has a great relationship with Vince Young, says Texas has nothing to worry about. In the next breath, he'll say something such as, "But I can go ahead and shock the world on signing day."

So, perhaps it's less surprising that the latest team to enter the Perrilloux sweepstakes is South Florida, whose receivers coach, Lawrence Dawsey, hit it off with Perrilloux when they met last month. Besides, Perrilloux said, Daunte Culpepper (Central Florida) and Steve McNair (Alcorn State) went to low-profile schools and managed to do OK.

But Perrilloux probably won't get to check out the South Florida campus. His remaining time until signing day is loaded with trips. He is scheduled to visit Mississippi State on Monday, Florida State on Jan. 21 and Miami on Jan. 23 before the all-important final weekend at LSU.

Since summer, Perrilloux has been planning what promises to be a dramatic announcement at East St. John on Feb. 2. He will sit with eight hats spread before him. Five will represent the schools he's visited, one will be for South Florida, another will be for Tulane and one will be covered by a black cloth.

That's the one he'll wear. It could be a duplicate. Or, it could be different from the others.

"The school where I'm going already knows I'm coming," Perrilloux said. "My family knows, too. But where is it?"

E-mail [email protected]

PERRILLOUX BY THE NUMBERS

.666: Batting average in 11 baseball games last season. He also hit eight home runs.

4.49: In seconds, speed in 40-yard dash. Colleges love that kind of speed in a 6-2, 220-pound quarterback.

4: Tattoos on Perrilloux's body. He has barbed wire on his right wrist; his mother's name, Bobbie, on his right shoulder; the Egyptian queen Nefertiti on his right pectoral; and "Only the Strong Survive," across his abdomen. He got that tattoo after recovering from his gunshot wounds and knee injury.

11: Perrilloux's jersey number. He has a Web site, Ryan11.com.

33: Number of staples surgeons used to close the incision on Perrilloux's chest, leaving a scar that spans from his sternum to his waist.

85: In feet, length of shot Perrilloux made at the overtime buzzer of a 77-76 win against East Ascension on Dec. 6

493: Total yards, and six touchdowns, in a 2004 season-ending 62-42 loss to Shreveport Evangel Christian, which was allowing 17.5 points per game.

12,715: Total yards, along with 157 touchdowns, in four-year career. Only Miami quarterback Brock Berlin accounted for more as a Louisiana high school player.

RYAN PERRILLOUX

Hometown: LaPlace, La.,

High school: Reserve East St. John

Ht./Wt.: 6-2/220

Rivals.com national ranking: No. 1 dual-threat quarterback, No. 18 overall

College status: Orally committed to Texas but still taking visits

Scouting report: 4.49-second speed in 40-yard dash. Strong, accurate arm. Isn't afraid to run over defenders. Has been compared to the Eagles' Donovan McNabb.

4. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

He's right, MT. I watched the all-star game and they came right out and asked RP about his commitment to UT and he never said anything to the affect of being solid with UT. He responded by saying that he still has several visits left and he's keeping his options open and anything could happen. He also said that he wants to play where is family can easily attend every home game and his mother did indeed say she likes LSU a lot. I don't have a link, but I saw it come straight from RP's mouth. A lot of the reruiting "experts" seem to believe that he'll be a Tiger come signing day. I would be happy if we got him, but I won't lose any sleep if we don't get him.

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

BTW, I've seen him flash the hook em horns sign before, but I didn't see him do it for the All-star game. If I didn't follow LSU recruiting and just tuned into the all-star game, I truly couldn't tell you where he was going. He gave very little indications of where he is going.

6. MarineTiger

I remember that as well but my point is that while RP continues to tell Texas fans that he is committed to them on lord-knows how many articles.....no one can come up with anything concrete about him coming to LSU.

I have read some people say that he may end up at LSU....I know Jamie Newberg at Scout.com believes so.....so I don't think it is that far fetched but I do thing it is highly improbable.

As the article above says, he loves keeping people on his toes.

I think RP loves the attention and is trying to keep his name in the media by saying most of this affection for other schools.

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I agree that based on everything he's told the media since the beginning of this little circus, it would seem that UT has the edge, but based on what most recruiting experts are starting to think, he'll be a Tiger. Who am I to argue with their assessment?

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Are you kidding? A body can get shot over a stick of gum these days.

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Founding Member

I wasn't commenting on how easy it is to get shot "these days." I'm just saying that certain parts of the story in the original post don't make a lot of sense and its conspicuously thin on details. Tha's all I was saying, nothing more or less.

10. kjntiger

kjntiger Founding Member

haha! or beads. ever hear of this thing called mardi gras.

as for rp, well......

enough said.