Interesting article on why Crowton's Offense Sucks

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Kurtis Bleaux, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Berge

Berge Founding Member

The option shouldn't need the wide side of the field unless you are playing NCAA '11 the video game. A lot of these misconceptions about the option stem from that.

The option is not supposed to swing wide outside. It gives the defense way too much time to adjust. You get outside of the tackle and run upfield (some versions make a hole between the guard and tackle).

Here is a great example, and one of the best games in LSU history.
    Skip to the 1:00 mark.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWMfprf2Na8]YouTube - LSU vs. Florida 1997[/ame]

Short side of the field, and he attacks the end.

Skip to the 6:00 mark and you can see it again.

The further out you longer the play takes to develop. You want the defense to have to make a decision immediately about covering the QB or the RB.

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

most of it seemed logical and made sense until you factor in the fact that we have more than one formation. seriously, this dude needs to watch some film. :dis:

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

what does it matter if we have multiple formations, we can't seem to get a first down with any of them.

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

EXZACTLY....

We know our passing game has been weak for a few years now, but most of that is due to the QB's we have.

Granted, blame is on GC too, more so GC not adujusting to the 2 VERY different styles of QB's we have..

But I put the O Blames on 50/50 of GC and Qb's.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I was in the south end zone, about 20 rows up for that game. IIRC, all of our TDs were in that end zone. I've never heard the stadium as loud as it was after Cedric Donaldson's pick/6. That's saying alot considering my first game ever was the earthquake game.

6. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I have to agree with a lot of what this guy says. He has a pretty good understanding of what we do, he just didn't go that far in depth. It's crazy how much talent we have on O and yet how little we do with it. The point there is that if we do get it going on O, what we CAN do is unreal. We saw a few glimpses in the UNC game(the Shepard TD run, the Randle TD catch).

Now he does misfire in his analysis of the Shotgun-2 TE formation. There are loads we can do with that. We love to set up inside WR screens, we love to give the ball to Ridley up the middle, we can hit D-lo with a pass over the middle, we can use a short pass game, we can use play action, etc. The point is that the formations aren't bad for our personnel, we're just not executing well or the call isn't right for the situation.

7. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

Unless I'm seeing things differently, the misfire with the Shotgun-2 TE formation is that I think we are in a shotgun, single back 3 WR set much more often....maybe more 2 TE in the 4th when we have a lead and Miles is trying to run the ball and burn clock.

8. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

This is true, however I was taking it for granted that we were examining the same sets he was. We are in the normal Shotgun 3-Wide set much more often.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

You don't need to be an X's and O's expert to understand LSU's offensive problems. All of our on-the-field problems, and I mean ALL of them, begin and end with the fact that we have two pocket QBs who are ineffective passers and can't read defenses and/or make checkdowns. This is amplified even further when using spread packages designed to get the ball to isolated receivers when the QB can't get the ball there in the first place. This effectively turns every possession into a red zone offense, where the secondary can cheat up and LBs can sit back and shut down the run. That shotgun-2 TE set is suddenly toothless since A. we're doing nothing with our tight ends, maybe improved once Peterson is 100%, and B. Shepard's speed in the backfield is negated by having the entire defense cheating up on the line of scrimmage.

And yeah, this guy should watch some more film. He obviously hasn't seen that nice little dime package we used against State. This ain't his daddy's John Chavis defense.