Interesting--Colorado wr to defy NCAA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I thought I would post this since I'm for LSU and other schools
    starting thier own NCAA, ( lack of better term?)

I would like to see all schools break away from the NCAA, its a
    dream I now have after what the NCAA did to LSU basketball compared to other schools.

Also, after the National Championship fiasco this year, You can say
    what you want to me about USuck, I don't care about the media and the ADT trophy)

I still think its a fiasco, we win the first championship since 58, whatever game your watching you still hear about USuck and
    who is #1 and who would win.

I still as an LSU fan am tired of this and think it sucks

All i know is Gateway was going to pay for the game and once again the NCAA sticks thier fat ASS in the way of progress.

I'm for a playoff and once again they defy the logical thing to do.

They might as well have Saddam in charge.:angry:

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2004/0119/1712907.html

Good Luck Jeremy and win this for all Colleges!

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Jeremy also quoted that this is stated in the NCAA rule book

"The unfortunate side of this is that the NCAA possesses the power to kick me off the football field and take my scholarship away, even though their own rule book states that an amateur student-athlete can simultaneously be a professional in another sport (such as baseball)," Bloom said.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yet another reason to hate the NCAA Gestapo. They won't let him earn "endorsment money" but if he played another sport he could earn a "salary." I wonder what the NCAA would do if a college football player was also a professionsal actor or singer or some kind of entertainer.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I don't think anyone loves the NCAA and very few even like them but they are stuck between a Rock and a Hard place on this deal. If they let him get endorsement money for skiiing then every athlete in college could go sign a minor league baseball contract or a semi pro FB, etc. and it would open up a pandora's box. I wouldn't let him do it either. Not unless you want to lose college sports altogether as that IS what would eventually happen.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

It's fascinating to hear people say "break away from the NCAA" ... I wonder if people realize exactly who and what is the NCAA?

The NCAA is run by University Presidents and Chancellors. Now let's assume a large number of schools break away and form their own organization ... who do you think will run it? Yep, Presidents and Chancellors of those schools!

College athletics are big business and big money. The NCAA has done a poor job of keeping up. It's time for the member schools to make some serious changes.

6. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

And pro baseball players aren't endorsed? They don't get free equipment from Nike, Rawlings, Spalding? Do you think they pay for all the batting gloves they go through, or the numerous pairs of cleats? Please. As long as his sports are separate, then there should be no problem.

A few years ago, Tim Dwight was playing football for the Falcons and running track in college. What's the damn difference?

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Getting free batting gloves and making a heck of a lot on endorsements are 2 completely different things. And baseball players can come back and play but cannot play in college while still active in baseball. The Tim Dwight thing I'd have to see to believe.

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

You can play professionally in baseball and still play college football at the same time. I know alot of guys, Ricky Williams for one, played minor league ball in the summer when they were in college. They were paid as professional players and still had their football eligibility.

What would be the problem with letting Bloom, who clearly was world class in skiing before college, accept endorsements like all other world class skiers?

9. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson Both From Texas have played Minor League Baseball while playing college football.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Danny Ainge was even in the major leagues with the Toronto Blue Jays while still playing college basketball for BYU. He was making a lot more money than a professional skier would make in endorsements unless the skier won an Olympic gold medal and his name became a household word.