Interesting--Colorado wr to defy NCAA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 19, 2004.

1. lsu nut

lsu nut Founding Member

Didn't Jaime Howard play minor league ball for the Braves in the Summer while he played football for LSU. I thought I remeber reading some pretty positive post about his pitching ability. Didn't an injury in his senior year end both his football and baseball careers?

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Back in 1996, Northwestern running back Darnell Autry was participating in a musical play production as part of study abroad. He was a drama/theater major at Northwestern (which has one of the premier drama/theater depts. in the country and has produced notable alumni such as Charlton Heston) and it was expected he do one of these as part of his field study requirements. This musical offered it's actors pay for their work. This was before the NCAA crafted their summer jobs loophole, back when athletes could not have a job, period.

The NCAA told him he could accept no money; that he had to work for free. Because it was against the production company rules to have free acting talent, he had to leave and did not get credit for the study program.

That's the NaziCAA for you.

More power to this kid and I hope he wins. For the NaziCAA to do this to him but allow exemptions for minor league baseball players is very two-faced of them. Unfortunately, the NaziCAA doesn't like to be called out on it's own hypocrisy. They will drop the hammer on this kid. They will make an example out of him to show every other athlete what happens when they step out of line and dare defy their bizarro rules.

This kid is now being forced to choose between football and skiing, between his college (helping Colorado win a Big 12 title) and his country (winning Olympic gold for the USA). It's just not right.

But don't tell that to the NaziCAA.