Interesting comparison Miles to Mack Brown

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BP, Dec 10, 2009.

1. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

After reading your other post in the Miles thread I was going to make a supportive comment towards your sentiments. Now after reading this I think I'll leave well enough alone. Personally, I would think that a coach that has had and avg of 10+ win seasons over a 10 yr tenure, a strong bowl record, a couple of conference championships, a National Championship, and is on his way to possibly winning another would be exactly the kind of coach I want for my team. If this isn't good enough for some fans I don't know what is. Of course I am sure there is another coach out there that could do better, unfortunately I can't think of any that are actively coaching that have.

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

With Texas' talent, it is hard to imagine that Oklahoma dominated them for a span of time, they've only won 1 NC, and only have a couple of conference championships. That really seems like an underachievement to me, but maybe I'm not as grounded as I should be. It's a solid achievement, to be sure, but it seems to me Texas hasn't maximized its potential.

But this explains our difference of opinion.

3. BP

BP Founding Member

This gets into the same thought process about which I wrote in another post. You're right. Texas does have a lot of talent. But, do they have appreciably more talent year in/year out than Florida, Alabama, LSU, USC, Ohio, Virginia Tech, or Oklahoma? I don't think so.

Throw in other teams that may be down now but are traditional powerhouses such as Miami, Nebraska, Florida State, Miami and possibly others.

I believe if a school can win a BCS championship once a decade, it is operating at a very high level. A school can win it more than that but it takes a very unusual combination of talent, coaching and luck.

We humans have many eccentricities... unwillingness to accept disconfirmatory information (see Bush and the Iraq war), failure to accept the inevitable (see The University of Ohio against just about any SEC school), and the ability to view the exceptional and believe it to be the norm.

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

both are different from miles at oxford.

the AU thing was really on flynn and the offense for taking soooo long to get lined up. of the three it's the most overblown perceived miles gaffe that's just not deserved.

however what mack did was slightly less worse b/c miles made a series of missteps at the end of the ole miss game including playcalling time mismanagement and the :01 call.

mack had one really bad almost mistake.

if a second didn'[t come back on that clock though no one except LSU fans would remember miles at ole miss.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Seriously? So, a coach that is playing for his second national title this decade is underperforming?

That says it all. You will never be satisfied with Miles, true, but who CAN satisfy you?

6. lsu-i-like

I don't disagree with this really. It is more important how a team does in conference and on a weekly basis. The difference between Mack Brown and Les Miles, as I see it, is that Mack Brown has shown the ability to win enough on a regular basis. So far Miles has started hot and has gone downhill since. If he can prove he can rebound and makes us damn strong again, if only every few years, it shows that he is at least equal to the job. Neither shows greatness, but goodness is pretty palatable.

But I damn sure wouldn't give Mack Brown 5 million per year.

There is truth to this.

It's not true that I'll never be satisfied with Miles, I just don't have faith he'll do what it takes to satisfy me. And yes, I feel like Mack Brown is underperforming (or maybe averagely performing), and again, I'm less worried about NCs and more worried about Texas being the second best team in their division.

7. TheGimpLSU

TheGimpLSU Founding Member

I have never, ever been impressed by Mack Brown. He's at the main school in a large football state that recruits itself with 4 and 5 star talent. He won a single national championship with a very unique star player.

1 person likes this.
  8. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

What was the record last year compared to this year?

By your logic, it is true.

9. lsu-i-like

Keep beating the W/L record drum.

10. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

k