Interesting comparison Miles to Mack Brown

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BP, Dec 10, 2009.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I agree with the article. However, I guess I'd disagree with you. Interestingly, when I think of the analogy, living in Austin, the other side of your coin is that Texas and LSU are "dominant" BECAUSE of how these coaches are. How do you think Texas and LSU get the Number 1-Top 5 recruiting classes year in and year out? How do you think they get the top assistant coaches? Why do you think they do well with boosters? While the results may be similar, and the coaches may get "lucky" (or unlucky) with some of their results despite their coaching calls, there's more to programs than just their coaches' ability to call Xs and Os and drive their kids into the ground on the practice field. Texas will be playing for the second NC in 5 years, and have more or less been in the Big 12 title discussion in those 5 years, and you think that Texas underperformed? But, I guess Oklahoma's fall this year (with the tough-ass coach) is just an aberration?

Case in point, you ask ND whether they'd like a Mack Brown for their program. What do you think they'd say?

I have to be one of those guys to admit that when we were looking to hire Miles, I was touting the virtues of Petrino for his offensive genius, NFL potential. I was proven wrong, I believe.

2. dudley

dudley oops!

Miles and Mack Brown probably are not the greatest sideline coaches in college football today. Probably the best is Steve Spurrier. I watched a few Notre Dame games and Charlie Weiss is also pretty good.

3. dudley

dudley oops!

A little off topic for this thread but for those who say Saban left LSU in great shape consider this. Saban was in such a hurry to get out of town, laffing and telling koonass jokes he left Miles with only 13 recruits in the '05 recruiting class. That '05 class is this year's redshirt Senior class. Black, Hitt, LaFell, Alem, Holliday and Chris Hawkins were the only contributors this year from that class.

Championship teams are usually made of of Juniors and Seniors and an upperclass QB. Saban kinda left Miles (LSU) holding the bag. Somewhat of a stretch, but you could even argue he won this year's game in his last year at LSU

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I think I understand what it is you want to see out of a college team. You want to see NFL performances out of developing college kids. A bit unrealistic expectations don't ya think. Again, I just don't know of any active coaches who have done better over the past decade.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I will until we aren't winning WAY more than we're losing. Your grandchildren will look in a media guide 60 years from now and think that 2009 was a great season.

Plus, which team out there is dominating every, single week? Did you not see Cincy struggle to beat Pitt, which they may not have done had Pitt not missed an extra point? Did you not see mighty Florida struggle with Arkansas and us, benefitting from favorable calls, only to get to the SECCG and get curb-stomped by Bama? Did you not see Bama struggle against Tennessee, US, and AU? How many times did Iowa squeak by in games this year, against Indiana, Northern Iowa?

The list could go on and on, yet you focus on LSU solely--probably because you watch LSU more closely than other teams. That's fine, but it must be depressing to be so doggone dissatisfied all the time. And please don't tell me that Saban always satisfied you, or I'll be forced to pm JohnLSU and have him post AGAIN all of the blow-out losses we experienced under Saban, along with our "near misses."

1 person likes this.
  6. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Just because another coach pulled a boneheaded move that almost cost him and his team an important game doesn't excuse our coach's boneheadedness or make it any less a glaring weakness in his game management abilities. If half the coaches in the NCAA coach did this once or twice a season, it doesn't make it OK for Miles to continue to do it.

I don't buy the "Mac Brown did it too so maybe Miles isn't such a clock management idiot" theory. I say they both need to learn that aspect of coaching to be more complete coaches.

But they are both super duper nice guys. :milesmic:

2 people like this.
  7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I don't think that anybody is excusing the stupid move, just pointing out that Miles isn't the only coach to make bonehead moves.

8. TigerBacker70

Guess I misunderstood the sentiment of this thread. I took it as excusing our bonehead because another higher paid bonehead did it too. My bad.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

the whole point is this:

wheteher our coach is Les Miles, or whoever the flavor of the month might be a couple years from now, he will have flaws.

every coach out has his weak points. those flaws will probably cost us a game every now and then. and they'll probably cause a few near misses as well. it has happened at every school in the country since the sport was invented.

but for some reason, these other coaches don't get completely roasted like LSU fans do to their own coach.
    hell, people wanted Saban sh!t-canned during the '01 season. all he did was win the SEC championship that year.

10. TigerBacker70

You make a valid point. None of them will ever be perfect. I realize that. I personally had very few issues when it came to Saban's coaching ability, he was just a surly jerk but he was OUR jerk. I think Miles is a much nicer guy. Sometimes too nice.