Interesting comparison Miles to Mack Brown

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BP, Dec 10, 2009.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Who is better?

Carroll? He couldn't maintain the 10+ status year in and year out.

Stoops? Nope
    Tressel? Nope
    Saban? Nope
    Meyer? Nope.

1 person likes this.
  2. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Mack Brown is 128-26 at Texas. That's a better overall record than Sprurrier had at Fla. He's won a NC, playing for another this year.

I'm glad I don't work for you.

What's good enough?

1 person likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

the scenario was the same, except for the time on the clock. Miles put the game in Flynn's hands just like Brown did with Colt. If LSU doesn't throw the ball in the endzone, who knows, maybe someone gets tackled and LSU loses.

4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I'd rather Les Miles or any of those coaches over Mac Brown anyday.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I'll give props for taking Miles over Brown, but really some of the other coaches over Brown. Stoops or Tressel, who can't win a big game. Saban, already been there done that, and I don' think he has the overall record to show that he is better than Brown, and has had issues with folding like a cheap suit against teams that have no business beating him. Now Meyer, I'll give ya, but he has had his issues as well, and I think if he didn't have Tebow he wouldn't have had the success he has had at UF.

6. StreetDiction

StreetDiction Gary Crowton Hater

Here is an article making the same comparison of Mack to Miles.

Mack Brown does his best Les Miles Impression

7. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

This!

8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I'll give you that. Neither Miles nor Mack Brown are terrible coaches in ALL aspects of coaching.

For the longest time Mack Brown had trouble capitalizing on his success and winning the big game despite having his pick of the litter recruiting. The state of Texas doesn't really have "down years" in terms of the quality of recruits available. Remember he used to be called "Mr February"? That Mack Brown has Texas playing at a pretty high level shows that he won't drive his program into the ground, but it could be argued that his opponents aren't playing at the same high level that they have been, particularly Oklahoma. In the end, however, I simply believe that while Mack Brown has been pretty consistent in keeping Texas a top 10/20 team, he isn't realizing what Texas is capable of. Texas really seems like the top program in the country to me (in terms of potential). And Stoops has shown his frailties, so don't assume I'd give him a pass.

While Mack Brown has shown he won't drive the program into the ground, I can't say with certainty that Miles has proven the same. If we play hard and sharp in the bowl game and recruit a top class, that says little for next season as we struggled this season following a great recruiting class and a thorough beating of the Yellowjackets. If we struggle in the bowl game and fall out of the top 5/10 in recruiting, then I'm going to be very concerned about the direction of the program.

I think you'd get a mixed reaction.

He seems a bit sleazy to me, but I think it is a little early to judge the job he has done at Arkansas.

Good point.

I remember the 2003 season. There were a few down games, but following the Arizona game it seemed pretty apparent we had a special team. Of course you aren't going to have that every year, but seeing our team play the majority of a season at a high level isn't too much to ask every few years. Much of Miles tenure we've played just good enough and not to a high level independent of our competition. That concerns me.

In the grand scheme of things, this wasn't a bad season, it just seems to indicate that our program isn't continuing at the high level set by Saban and that we may be declining. Of course, most of Miles tenure seems to indicate (looking at quality of play on the field rather than W/L) that things are getting worse, not better, and so far we haven't dropped off the map. I'm kind of judging the present and trying to tell the future, and I think we all see things differently when we attempt that. I quickly lost faith that Miles would ever have us play for a NC, yet he brought home our second ball of the decade. I was wrong then and could be wrong again. I'm just espousing an opinion.

I've always said I critcized Saban while he was here. He was too doggone conservative and still is. I could care less whether other teams play up to their potential or not; in fact, I'd prefer they not. Sure, its nice to win beating a team who is playing at their best, but it is really satisfying to just crush your opponent.

But you're right. Most college teams have lackluster performances quite often. In this Miles is not alone. It is those top teams that shine most often, which explains why we've dropped a peg in the perception of the media and our fans.

I understand this, but it is my opinion that Miles hasn't come close to maximizing our potential on a consistent basis and his players, in general, don't seem to improve significantly over time. It isn't a few games that have me concerned, it is the way we have performed throughout Miles tenure, win or loss, that gives me pause.

This is bullcrap. Every program that has passionate fans has a coach that is often and openly critiqued. This is muted by winning, and particularly by blowing out opponents. I was a Saban critic, but neither I nor the majority of tiger fans wanted him sh1tcanned.

Actually...

1 person likes this.
  9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

oh yeah, after the Ole Miss loss that year, the rumblings were starting to get pretty loud.
    lost to UAB in year one, 3 SEC losses already in year 2.
    what the hell are we paying this guy $1 million dollars for? we aren't getting any better.

that was the feeling in newspapers, online, in Death Valley (at least those who sit around me).

dude wins out, capturing the SEC title and a Sugar Bowl crown.
    then '02 pretty much sucked. were were a lot worse at the end of that season than we were at the midway point, and people started complaining again.

1 person likes this.
  10. StreetDiction

StreetDiction Gary Crowton Hater

Didn't Mauck get hurt halfway through 02 and we didn't win much after that?

Saban seemed to teach the players more than Miles does, but Miles does ok. Give Miles Jimbo and Muschamp as his assistants and we wouldn't be griping like this.