Interesting comparison Miles to Mack Brown

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BP, Dec 10, 2009.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Considering where the program had been, winning the SEC championship in 2001 was a huge accomplishment. There were bumps along the way, particularly after UAB. And while we struggled in 2002, I don't remember hearing many folks calling for Saban to be fired. Looking back you could see a steady improvement in the program from when Saban started to when he left. There were times to doubt the guy, but it was a widespread belief that Saban had transformed LSU from an afterthought to a juggernaut. We weren't a legitimate NC contender from long before I was born to the time Saban came to LSU. Now a lot of folks seem to think that would be ok again. Slow and steady, win enough games and go to a decent bowl. That's not real appealing to me.

Looking back on what Miles has done so far, you can't really say he has improved the state of the program, while I believe there are actually signs of the opposite occuring.

1 person likes this.
  2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

While I believe if this statement were true, yes there would be cause for concern. Yes last season was a significant sign that things weren't right, and Miles addressed the issues. This season showed improvement, although not significant, there were certain signs. The team not giving up, the team pulling together at crunch time to pull out some close wins, not being blown out, but rather fighting to the finish is our 3 loses. In all 3 a different bounce of the ball, a different ref call, and 1 less bonehead play by Miles and we are looking at a very successful season. Yes the argument can be made that we could have lost 2-3 more games, but we didn't, and that argument can be switched to we could have won the 3 we lost.

I just don't see anything to support the claims that this team and program are heading backwards under Miles. The team has good academics, very little off field problems, excellent recruiting, plays hard and is in every game. So, many point to the direction that Saban had the program under, and what he did is not without recognition, but in reality Saban didn't even have the consistent winning record that Miles has, with the exception of 2003 where we went 13-1. Like most, when addressed with the challenge of tell me what you think can be done, or tell me who you think would do a better job than Miles, or tell me the exact signs of the program eroding; you don't have any answers, nor do you have specifics that would be consistent signs to point out. No, bonehead calls by the coach don't count, all coaches are guilty of this.

All that said, I would agree that should the program and Miles start to show signs of deterioration, start to not be competitive on a consistent basis, and start to lose on a regular basis, then there would be cause for concern. Until someone can show me that these signs exist right now, I just can't buy into that notion.

1 person likes this.
  3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Mauck getting hurt definitely torpedoed the season, no doubt about it. Many folks were kinda pissed that he was hurt in the 4th quarter of a blowout win @ Florida, by the way. Why wasn't Randall playing? People grumbled about Saban then--and after Ben Wilkerson was injured on the last play of the Vandy game in '04.

Now, I tend to believe that injuries just happen, and coaches can't go around playing tentatively to avoid them. However, people ragged Saban about it.

As for teaching the players better, why did Marcus Randall NEVER get much better at QB? That was all under Saban, and Randall was never an SEC-caliber QB. And our team suffered for it, sort of like how we're suffering for the same problem now--except that I think JJ is better than Randall was. Personally, I believe Saban had Randall playing at the wrong position, as he'd have likely been a better WR or DB.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think Miles needs to get a signature win because he hasn't had one in a couple of seasons. Beating Penn St. would go a long way. Just out of curiosity, what is Miles win loss record against top 10 teams?

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

No, you couldn't. We won the SEC in '01 and looked like chumps with a new QB halfway through the '02 season, losing in embarrassing 30+ point blowouts to AU and Bama, having our secondary blow coverage in the last seconds of the Arkansas game, and allowing Roy Williams to make us look like idiots in the Cotton Bowl.

In '04, we lost 4 games and could have lost several others (since people are so fond of pointing out Miles' near misses. Saban that year could have also lost to Oregon State, Vandy, Florida, and Troy. Chit! That would've been an EIGHT loss season following a NC!

Have a little perspective, please!

6. LEGACY TIGER

You don't consider the beat down we put on GT last bowl season a signature win. I would considering we were underdogs and weren't given much of a chance to stop their offense. As for his record against top 10 teams, I know he is undefeated in bowls.

7. LEGACY TIGER

Unfortunately all the Miles critics conveniently forget that Saban didn't have the record Miles has, nor did he have the OOC record Miles has, nor did he have the bowl record Miles has, etc etc. Biggest thing to me is that when anyone poses the question, what should be done better, or who could do it better, other than the almighty god, none of them have an answer.

1 person likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

I don't consider that a signature win because it was the Peach Bowl against the 2nd or 3rd best team in the ACC. It was a good win, but i am talking about a win against a top 10 or top 5 team. Maybe Tech was top 10 i cant remember, but i think the last top 5 team LSU beat was Ohio State? We just haven't been winning the big games in the last 2 years. We have been right there, but couldn't finish the game.

9. LEGACY TIGER

I think they were ranked 14th when we played them. I think you are correct on the last top 10 team we beat. You are also correct on that we have been right there in those games, this yr, last yr not so much. I think the PSU game will be a big plus for Miles and the Tigers, when we win. Being the catalyst to next season and how much better we will be.

10. LaSalleAve

I just think a win in the Cap 1 bowl would go a long way in shutting up at least some of the critics for a little while. This is an important game because the beginning of the 08 season we haven't been able to knock off any of the great teams we have played, and not saying Penn St. is great, but they definitely are respected nationally.