Interesting NC Info

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mctiger, Feb 10, 2004.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

see the link to ncaa.org posted below. Detailed info on the history of D-I football championships. A couple of salient points in regards to the recent LSU/USC discussions: Some USC excuse makers have claimed that LSU's '58 championship was split. In fact, LSU was named champion in 15 of 16 services, including AP and UPI. Only the Football Writers of America poll named Iowa number 1. But, if we are going to point out every possible claim to a NC that's out there, then this year's title was not our 2nd, it was our 6th. We were awarded someone's championship in '08, '35, '36, and '62, besides the commonly recognized ones. It should also be noted that of all USC's previous NC claims, only one (1972) was undisputed. Here's the link:
    http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html#FW

2. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Well with all NC in Football there are disputes. Bama claims well I don't know how many NC's but in reality they haves less undesputed ones. The BCS tried to clear up the NC debate by awarding 1 team the true NC but we all know that failed.

3. LSU

LSU Founding Member

LSU was 11-0 in 1958.
    Iowa was 8-1-1 in 1958.
    There is no split.

4. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

LSU is the 2003 National Champion.

USC was voted #1 in the AP poll but there is still only one National Champion and it's LSU.

5. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

That's right Brett. According to the system in place, the BCS, which USC and the AP were a part of, and which every other D-1 program was a part of, the National Champion was recognized as the winner of the BCS. USC won nothing but the Rose Bowl.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux:

6. edyel

edyel edyel

GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Well what I ment to say is there was not a undesputed championship. USC still claims their so called "people's championship" But in my eye and everyone not on the left coast we are the true #1 team in the nation.