Interesting note re: ESPN and SECN: your access on cable TV.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, May 13, 2013.

1. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I know this is pitiful, but what about SEC football game replays, and classic games? I would love to watch both during the offseason

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Classic, I don't know about. I'd assume those would be broadcast. XOS digital won't be controlling those rights anymore and I'm assuming that's part of what the SEC bought back. Some games the University's own. Where do those go? It's a damn good question.

Even the Saturday CBS game will be re-broadcast the following week.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Pac12 network still not on DTV.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

But the audience for Pac 12 games is WAY less than for SEC games. USC can't even sell out their stadium when they are #1. Plus the SEC Network is an ESPN deal and ESPN has a huge amount of influence with cable and satellite systems.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

A fight over how much they should charge subscribers continues. It's the same fight the B1G dealt with when they first launched.

red touches on an important part here.

The PAC12 network is owned solely by the conference itself. It's unlike the BTN because that is partially owned by FOX.

The key point here is the power ESPN has over the market as red mentioned.

Reading between the lines...when I consider the fact that ESPN is going to be responsible for selling advertising space on the new network it gives me more faith in its saturation/availability.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

My point is that, as a viewer, it's a no win situation as I could not be any more pleased with the # of Lsu games on my tv the past several years. Now I think the best case scenario is that I have to pay more for the same, and at worst I will miss a couple games a season.

KyleK likes this.
  7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Where do you live? I ask because it's also my understanding this will eliminate pay-per-view games. If you've been paying for those, the cost will be likely be the same if not less.

And, if I may ask. If you end up getting more coverage of LSU's other sports programs how can it not be a win?

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Tigervision is supposed to be history IIRC. And if you've been buying PPVs through Tigervision, you were getting ripped off anyway.

The way this whole deal is structured sounds like Slive created a money-printing machine for the league.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

...and that's putting it mildly.

I thought the job XOS has done the last few years was better, but only serviceable at best. I hope the product lives up to the hype.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Amen. I have DirecTV and I don't get to watch all those Tiger baseball games that Cox cable carries. I'd watch more LSU basketball if it was available.

tirk likes this.