Interesting note re: ESPN and SECN: your access on cable TV.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, May 13, 2013.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Think we haven't seen Directv yet because they were planning on the merger with At&t. Looks like that merger will go through so Directv will be bundled into that contract.

I like the tactic the SEC is using by scheduling at least one game for every team on SECN during the 1st month of the season. Now all fans will pressure their providers to hurry up and get signed up.

These things usually happen last minute.

tirk likes this.
  2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

First order of business is getting demand high do that all of the carriers have to have it. Then hope that the SEC fans get addicted to it and can't live without it. Then charge the carriers so much that the consumers have to pay extra for it.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

These cable networks are dependent on being on as many service providers as possible. They may take a hard line in public while negotiations are ongoing, but they will do what they have to do to get on the air. Remember the Viacom "scare" last month. For all the posturing about "a dozen of your favorite stations are about to be yanked off the air", the deadline passed, negotiations continued and were finally completed 48 hours after the deadline, without a second of service disruption. Watch for this to go down to the wire as well....the wire, actually, being July 31, when ESPN's contract with many of the cable providers around the country expires.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Oh, I imagine everyone will be able to get it soon enough, but I bet I'm going to have to pay more for something I don't want. I am quite happy with sec coverage I get outside of the sec footprint. So I am against the sec network, but I will still get it.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's what cable is isn't it? Paying for a bunch of shit you don't want for a few channels you do.

ParadiseiNC and cajdav1 like this.
  6. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

You mean I dont have to request Lifetime anymore?

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

"Speaking With The Enemy"....nola.com reporting former LSU star Marcus Spears will be part of the SEC Network's Saturday morning studio show. He'll be sharing the desk with Paul Finebaum and Tim Tebow, as well as Joe Tessitore.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

DirecTV has a month before I switch to ATT. I've been with DirecTV for 16 years, but they still do not plan to add the SEC Network.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

They plan too but fighting like usual to keep the price down. They will get it. Directv has to fight to have simialr contract to that of AT&T since the merger announcement so there are no gaps in coverage.