Interesting Phenomena

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I was watching the game on TV and listening to the radio broadcast. Jim Hawthone was calling balls, strikes, fowl balls and base hits even before I would see the batter on TV swing at a ball. The only explanation I can come up with is that radio signals must travel a lot faster than TV signals.

2. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

You haven't discovered anything new. That's how it usually is when listenning to the radio while watching it on tv.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

There is always a slight delay in cable tv and radio. If you are on satelliete it is really bad.

4. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

I don't mind it when its a second -- kind of funny to hear the 'clink' of the bat before the picture swings

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I kind of thought it might be because the radio signal came over the airwaves directly and the TV signal had to first go up to a satellite and then back down to the cable company's dish and then out to the cable subscribers. I would assume that both radio and TV signals travel at or near the speed of light. I know that it takes about 2.3 seconds for light to travel to the moon and back to earth but the satellites are a lot closer to us than the moon. Obviously I have no way of timing the signals for comparison but for Hawthone to see and decribe action that had not yet occured on the screen it has to be at least a one second difference and maybe more. Too bad I can't get a bet down that fast on the results of the next pitch. Does anybody know it the TV signal goes first up to the satellite and then back down to ESPN headquarters in Bristol, CT and then back up to multiple satellites? That would explain a lot.

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

That is basically it. It takes time to send the TV signal from the stadium to the satelliete's, etc.... Radio will be the closest to live as you can get without being there.