Interesting take on Bama program

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dachsie, Dec 12, 2019.

1. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Made me think of this south park clip

Bengal B likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Are you serious or is that sarcasm in support of passing out ADHD drugs like candy to any kid with any slight behavioral problem?

3. BP

BP Founding Member

Several points.

1. ADHD does exist, but only half-way jokingly I say, is the most over diagnosed disorder in the history of mankind.
    2. Partly because it is over diagnosed, and partly because, even in those instances where it is mild to moderate parents want a quick fix, medication is also over prescribed. Behavior modification should always be incorporated in treatment. However, in severe cases, you have to get the kid off the ceiling before you can begin modification.
    3. Before I put my kid on medication I would get a comprehensive psychoeducational eval done by an experienced psychologist. Much/most of the time, it is not ADHD but a learning disability. All the medication in the world will not help dyslexia. I would never allow my kid to take prescription medication based on a check list at the pediatrician's office or even a psychiatrist.

el005639 and Bengal B like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I agree with you that the drugs do have a place in some cases but are way overprescibed.

5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I used to be a big skeptic on ADHD drugs. Then I taught 8th grade for 10 years. There were certain kids that I could tell when they walked in the classroom door they had skipped their morning meds. Probably 20 - 25% of the ADHD “identified” students that we had.

To those that were apparent I would say (scream), above the class change “roar,” “Tyler did you forget something this morning” or “Hey Tyler you need to go to the office and call your mom.” Most of our other ADHD kids had parents that wanted a) a bunch of accommodations, and b) an excuse.

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. KevinWS

KevinWS Founding Member

I have been recently diagnosed with ADHD. My doctor is very strict. First it took me 6 months to get diagnosed. Then he sent me to second behavioral health evaluation for a second opinion.

Since I am new I am still under strict supervision. And go in monthly for evaluation.

For me it has been a miracle.
    It has been like going from a crowded sports bar with 20 TV's going on and not being able to hear myself think because I am trying to absorb everything at the same time with out any way to filter what's coming in.

To being on a quiet beach by myself listening to the game in the radio and not having any wifi or wireless data.

My focus has been so improved. It is like what Coach O and the team have done at LSU this year.

kcal, LSUTiga and cul2969 like this.
  7. BP

BP Founding Member

You are fortnate that you have a good caretaker. There is no question that in cases of moderate to severe ADHD, medication is extremely beneficial. As I said, before you can do anything for the patient, you have to get them off the ceiling. I imagine you know what I mean.

8. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Magnificent punnery there.

furduknfish likes this.
  9. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

In case yall didn't see the awards show, bama didn't have any one on the all american team. Lsu had 3

Chipeace and shane0911 like this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Surprised Jeudy didn't make it.

HalloweenRun and LSUTiga like this.