Interesting take on Bama program

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dachsie, Dec 12, 2019.

1. BP

BP Founding Member

Sorry, I’m not following this point.

2. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Simply stated, if a diabetic was not taking insulin it could eventually lead to death. If a ADHD diagnosed child does not take vyvanse, concerta, or adderall etc. they wouldn't die.

3. BP

BP Founding Member

I’m sorry. I’m not trying to be obtuse. But I don’t understand your point. At no point in this conversation I have I ever alleged anything like that. My only point is that in both disorders, the person cannot manufacture the necessary bio chemicals. And not being able to do so does not necessarily mean they are undisciplined as has sometimes been alleged.

4. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

See, this is what I mean when I say there can be so many different opinions and everyone can be right. BP I understood where you were going with this. But, as most things these days, a lot of people read things and interpret it differently... even your simple "comparison" (for lack of a better word) of 2 diseases. Some will almost take at least some offense to what you said and read it as if you're belittling the seriousness of "some affliction" because they have experienced some loss or have a loved one who has that.
    That was the point I was making when I said the mother shouldn't have publicized what she did. Not only did she out her own son to the world, but she blasted some of her own opinions (obviously somewhat misguided in some ways) out there and everyone will interpret it based on what they know or don't know.
    Part of the problem in the world right now is that a person may say something offensive to someone else, publicize it, and then you have people who will read it, or skim through it and blast back without fully understanding what the first person was actually saying. BP's comment about ADHD and Type 1 Diabetes is a prime example... some of us here read it one way, and others read it another. Anyway, at least we can discuss this kind of thing here in peace without anyone really getting the red ass, right??? :)

5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Me three. Seems to me that FOREVER he was associated with a huge gain.

6. Kal-El012

I agree with this point.

I do believe wholeheartedly though that ADHD medication is not something I would want anyone I cared about to take regardless of the diagnosis or doctor recommendation. But if someone of equal importance to me was diagnosed as a diabetic I would not try to talk them out of taking insulin.

I believe it was possible to read into your reply as you saying medication was equally important to a diabetic as someone who has ADHD. The principal at the school where the young man I mentioned attended used the same comparison when I told her that I disagreed with him taking the meds for ADHD. That may very well be not something you meant, but taken in general, it brought out the want to use mortality as an example of how different ADHD and Diabetes are.

No red ass here @MikeInLa . Lol.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  7. Kal-El012

Times have changed so much. You can't whip your kids, you can't settle a beef with a bully at school by whooping his ass, everybody gets a trophy, and if you have a hyper active kid or a kid that talks too much during class they need amphetemine so the school can deal with them. Glad I got my vasectomy after having just one. People having children nowadays are crazy.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  8. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

I understood exactly what he meant. Still a poor comparison. But he wants to stick to his guns that it was ideal. I don't care one way or another. Just speculating that if he had a kid with Type1 instead of ADHD, he would not have compared the two as equals.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Only people with ADD/ADHD should be able to comment on how “necessary” meds are. I can, without a doubt, tell you they work wonders for people who need em. Many adults take it too, btw.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  10. Kal-El012

Obviously we have had different experiences.

You say that only people who suffer from ADD/ADHD should be able to comment, but what about the children who take it because their parents make the decision? All I can say is if I had to do it over again I would have never let my son be put on the meds. I fought it but my ex did it without my consent. I couldn’t have afforded a court battle if that is what it would have come to. I am just voicing my opinion about it and my sharing my experience. Different strokes for different folks but I’d suggest to any parent, think long and hard. It may or may not be worth it. In my case it was not.