interesting thought on corporate deregulation

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUDeek, Apr 11, 2006.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

my guess it is that is not as true as you think it is, as you tend to believe lots of crazy things. you seem to come out of nowhere with wild assumptions sometimes. yunno like taco bell and the grade d meat and lindsay lohan was supposed to be 13 with those huge boobies in that herbie movie. you tend to believe pretty much anything.

outsourcing and globalization are good things.

no need to debate, just ask me what the right opinion is.

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

my mother in law was a csm at the walmart supercenter off of siegen lane in baton rouge for seven years. i had to hear about her trials and travails on a biweekly basis.

notwithstanding other statements that i made which were false/incorrect/of dubious verifiability,
    that one isn't.

edit: let's say i was still lsudeek instead of 157. would you have addressed the first paragraph (which is really what i was looking for you to do) or would you still have attacked me personally?

which is worse, martin? high medicaid and medicare taxes or governmental corporation intervention in this case?

3. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Bigger tax breaks for corporations providing quality healthcare for employees, higher taxes for those who don't. Maybe that is done to some extent now? I really don't know.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Quote:
    If you want a publicly run company to be good, you must force it to be good
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know where this quote came from but if too many people start thinking
    like this we will turn out like the USSR or China.
    This is down right scary
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My 2 cents...
    I worked at Walmart from 1997 until 2000 started unloading trucks, then stocker, then Department Manager.
    I started out at Minimum wage and ended at $11 in just 3 years for 2 reasons.
    1) I was a good worker with a good attitude (most of the time)
    2) Started in Grand Junction and ended in Denver.

Strangely I never saw people forced to do anything or work against their will
    which did happen at Home Depot when I was there.
    I saw them lock people in and wouldn't let them go home until certain things
    were done.

Yes, when I was there (Walmart) I did wish that they had a better health care plan for
    their employees, I think thier wages are good for the most part.
    I don't think Walmart is that greedy, no more greedy than any other American
    business, if they were greedy they still would have room to raise their prices.
    This is where I think Walmart syndrome comes in, theres a lot more companies
    than Walmart that get away with all kinds of stuff.
    One is Home Depot, I left Walmart to go work there, better wage and insurance but they treat you like dirt, a lot worse than Walmart.

Good Idea, go to Target, a french company and buy from them.
    Where do the goods from Target come from btw?
    Please let me know when you find out, Korea? Japan? China?
    If you work at Walmart and don't like it you are free to leave or better yet
    go to school, start a business, bribe someone, do something to improve
    your skills so that you can get a better job.

6. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

I believe Target is publicly owned and based out of Minneapolis. Maybe a bunch of Frenchies own a controlling percentage of the stock, but I don't have that information? I guess that would sort of make it a French company.

7. Broke

Broke Founding Member

It's basically a laissez faire economic policy that works. I think the only time a government should intervene is when it is something so essential to our economy i.e. power, gasoline, airlines. Otherwise, why not let the market work itself out.

P.S. I am an economics instructor (adjunct) so I am biased!

8. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Alright martin, i'll bite. What is the right opinion?

Let businesses do whatever they want because if the consumer doesn't like the fact that business A forces it's workers to work 39 hours a week denying them benefits and salary that the consumer can go to business B, as a result forcing business to allow it's workers to work 40 hours a week so they don't lose their profit? Capitalism is awesome in this respect that free market competition forces companies to do things that consumers will approve of because otherwise the companies will lose consumers and profit.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

huh? you already know. you have ayn rand in your sig.

correct. and don't forget that an employer that treats its employees poorly enough will lose their best workers to the competition.

the key to everything is that nobody is forced to do anything. i dont force wal-mart to pay a certain salary or give benefits, ands they don't force us to work or shop there.

10. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I know I already know, I just like to make sure that my opinion fits in with the great martins, because ayn rand can be a bit of a quack sometimes and martin is always right.

I figured that everyone in the world knew that in a free society you aren't forced to do anything so I didn't add it to my reply.