International Travel

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Jun 5, 2016.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Thanks @Jmg martin. That's the kind of advice I was looking for. She is also now considering a teaching job in China that would last a year. She wants to live a bit before med school. I am all for that.

I met a guy yesterday who had been to 52 countries. He suggested that she just tell people she is from Canada. He said 3rd world people think Americans are rich so they hassle you for money. They don't know anything about Canadians. He added that in Russia, nobody there hates Canada.

How would she go about getting the Visa for Russia? Can you do it online? Can you point me in the right direction? TIA

2. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

It will cost at least a couple hundred dollars.

You can do it yourself by going to your nearest Russian consulate. Or you can pay a visa service to handle it for you. Either way they will take the passport from you for to process it. Hopefully when they return it they will have stuck the full page visa in ther with your name written in Russian.

For me there is a Russian consulate nearby so I did it myself. If you don't live near one you might want to use a service and mail it to them.

You will need an invite, like you have to have a letter that invites you to Russia. Travel agencies can arrange this, or the visa service.

Again, if you do t really care that much about Russia, and a brief visit is enough, you can go to Finland and take a ferry visa free for 72 hours and save yourself a hassle.

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/russia/how-to-get-a-russian-visa

Regarding telling people you are from Canada, that's for pussies. Everyone loves Americans, and all western white people regardless of nationality are assumed to be rich.

Even in the Middle East you can go around telling everyone you are American and they are happy to meet you. in really remote places they will be extra happy and friendly because everyone loves American culture and wants to go there.

China teaching positions also require a fancy visa, but people also do it illegally on tourist visas. This can get you deported, but people do it.

KyleK likes this.
  3. Expat

Expat Veteran Member

Agree with jmg. I'm American, have lived in the Middle East (Qatar) for about 6 years, and have travelled a fair amount. I've always told people I'm from the US and everyone has been positive about that. Maybe because they know that Americans tip better than anyone. . . .

International travel can be intimidating and frustrating at times. But the positives far outweigh any negatives. At least for my family and me.

KyleK likes this.
  4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

I have heard stories of Americans with Canadian flags sewn on their backpack, and it's probably an urban legend, but if that is true those Americans pretending to be Canadian are morons.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Rally good info here Martin esp on the visas.

KyleK likes this.
  6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

During my 20 years in the Air Force and 30 years in private industry (Air Force contractor) I traveled all over the world. From above the Arctic Circle in Greenland to Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. I have no idea how many frequent flyer miles I accumulated but it was a bunch. I rarely flew coach.
    Now that I'm retired I don't miss it one bit.

7. tirk

Im hoping martin is doing an around the world chimes thing but instead of beers hes bangin bitches. I think hes learned its much easier to get laid in foreign lands as an american so hes taken it to a whole new level. I cant hate on him for that. I cant think of a better way to burn a trust fund. I mean, along with the drugs and alcohol.

8. COTiger

To each his own. I'm 68 years old and content to never get on an airplane again for business travel. The youngsters can have it.

9. tirk

This isnt for business. Monkey business is different. But yeah business travel usually sucks.

10. COTiger

It was part of the job(s). Sitting up front most of the time made it easier.