International Travel

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

One tip. You can travel the entire planet except Australia with only one tiny euro power adapter because every country has either us style, or euro style, or UK style. U.K. Style can be used with a euro plug, you just have to use a toothpick to slide the shutter in the top hole. This is important because you should always be trying to carry fewer things. Also all modern devices charge fine (except hair dryers, which no one should carry) on the different voltages overseas. Australia has kooky slanty plugs. So does Argentina but I was just there and they had plugs that allow slanties and euros as well. So only Australia actually requires something other than a us and euro adapter.

Also if you aren't absolutely crushed for time where every moment is busy when traveling, you can get by with only 4 days worth of clothes and wash them at drop off laundromats available in ever city (except China they don't have laundromats), or in your sink. So you never need more than a small backpack, the kind high school kids carry. This makes everything a thousand times better. I carry around 12 pounds total and I can go around the world in any climate with that.

Also you should only have expensive wool socks. Merino wool socks do not stink. They are miraculous.

2. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

Two more tips

The iPad mini is the best travel computer, does not need to be removed from luggage for scanning, weighs nothing, is very durable and is fine for all tasks except writing very long things.

T mobile has been free for me in every country escape Ethiopia and Morocco, so it was good in 62 countries. T mobile is awesome. Free data everywhere. It's an absolute necessity. Without data you can get lost and without google maps you are properly fucked.

No google services work in China which is a tremendous problem, unless you can make your American phone work via some proxy or whatever. I could not access my email with computers in China. THis is clearly a dangerous disaster because that's where everything is, hotel addresses, boarding passes, everything. However, t mobile somehow gave me a Chicago ip adress and bypassed the Chinese restrictions. I dunno how they do it but it's awesome. Like if you do a ip search on your t mobile ip data adress it says Chicago even in chengdu. That's a lifesaver.

In China, no Twitter, no Facebook, no google, no snapchat, no Instagram. No news about anything that makes China look bad.

The iPad mini does lead to the occasional autocorrect error like I said escape above when I meant except. No big deal.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    KyleK and tirk like this.
  3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I thought they already did hombre.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Silly bachelor, don't you know by now some things are worth hittin twice.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is what a royal pain in the ass it is to get through airport security. I think the TSA has a requirement that your IQ can't exceed 30 to work for them.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Last time that happened you gave me a mich ultra or a coors light or something to that affect.

7. COTiger

I used to be a Bud drinker, but made the switch to MGD about 10 years ago.

8. LSUTiga

Yes, Mich Ultra was my brand for a good while. Started getting headaches after only a few so I switched to Bud Light for a while but I do need a change so may go back.

9. LSUTiga

MGD?

10. COTiger

Miller Genuine Draft