Intersting stats DiNardo Vs Saban; Saban Vs Saban, Saban etc

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by axd9142, Feb 12, 2005.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

RE Dinardo, unfortunately, you cannot leave out 1998 & 1999. Those years sucked bad. We won under Saban and we won championships. I have a very good feeling about our current coaching staff, but the proof of the pie is in the eating. Win, lose or draw, I will be there screaming like a maniac !

2. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

In defense of DiZero, the a$m game was 33-17 and we were cheated out of a touchdown catch that turned 7 into 3 and the game against pre-season #3. DiZero DID bring the magic back... then he hired that defensive guru, Lou Tepid, fired by Illinois, and proceeded to lose the magic quickly (DiNardo did a nice coaching job against Saban in the I-Bowl that year).

DiZero inhertited much more talent than Saban (anyone old enough can remember he was called Nick SATAN by ESPN) did at Michigan State. When LSU hired Saban, LSU people were very underwhelmed (Mike Shanahan!). Saban was the first break from Joe Dean and his managerial myopia (Arkansas 65 LSU 62, hint, hint). EXACTLY LIKE EMMERT, SABAN TAPPED LSU'S POTENTIAL AND MADE US A NATIONAL POWER.

My complaint with Saban was indecision at QB. Preseason 2000: Booty or Davey. Preseason 2003 Mauch or Randall. Preseason 2004: Randall, Russell, or Flynn. Head coaches shouldn't wait until 7:04 opening night ( unless your toolame) to find a starter. That's 3 of 5 years (if he'd pulled the trigger, maybe another SEC title)!

Bertman (I remember when LSU drew 3,000 baseball fans for the SEASON), knowing that LSU is a monster, hired the absoulte best coach for our football program (Get real folks, Oklahoma State was a garbage dump before Les Miles took over. Look it up!). We owe a Nick a great deal, but the days of losing in the last minute on long passes are over. We're going to make the Gator run of the '90's look lame. How's Bear Miles sound?

3. axd9142

axd9142 Founding Member

Boy! DiNardo really brings out a lot of hate. Its not about DiNardo. It is that Saban did well because he was at LSU. Saban has LSU to thank for what he did. It is tough tugging behind Michigan and Oklahoma. When the LSU fans begged St Nick to stay on dropping cookies at his doarstep, he should have though about all those who contributed to making him a succeess not the 4.2 million dolars high zinger would pay him

4. MCab

MCab Founding Member

Re: the statistics

The most telling statistic that counters axd's thesis b/n the coaches is their ability to be consistent.

Look at the drop-off on wins with DiNardo after 97. What happened? My guess is that his starters graduated/went pro/whatever and he couldn't fill ranks. And I was there during DiNardo's tenure, and I always hated how we'd lose the first half (and nearly get beaten) to teams like Tulane, only to pull some miracles out of nowhere in the second halves. And let's not talk about the Houston game

Saban, on the other hand, is consistent, win or lose. Look at the number of wins/year at MSU, they hardly change with each year. Same goes for his time at LSU. Account his last year's so-so record for being focused more on his future plans.

Peace,

MCab

5. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Isn't it pretty good that 9-3 is considered "so-so"?

6. MCab

MCab Founding Member

All right, you got me, 9-3 is an excellent winning record. But, the bugger about college ball (and the thing I hate about it, or at least, the BCS system) is that if those are the wrong wins, then you don't go to the bigger dances.

Peace,

MCab

7. TheDrunkenTiger

TheDrunkenTiger Founding Member

What brings out even more hate from me are those who attempt to insult Saban, like he screwed us over with a great records, two SEC championships and a National Championship. All you proved to me is that you are willing to put forth possibly an hour of research just to make a ridiculous point. Saban made LSU much better. It amazes me how people seem to forget what our record was in 3-8. Yeah, thats right, three f*cking wins. In Saban's first year, after looking like crap in '99 we went to 8-4. I love LSU, but LSU is only good because of our coaches, their ability to recruit the right players, and the player's talents themselves. Furthermore Saban has clearly wanted to go pro as a head coach since he left the NFL. He knows his strategies work, look at Bellichick's success in New England with a very similar defensive scheme. The 4.2 million was merely "iceing on the cake". His salary was almost doubled and he got what he really wanted: a head coaching job with total managment control over the team. I dont blame him for accepting the job at all, I was upset, but I cannot insult the man that made my team great.

8. axd9142

axd9142 Founding Member

"I always hated how we'd lose the first half (and nearly get beaten) to teams like Tulane, only to pull some miracles out of nowhere in the second halves. And let's not talk about the Houston game"

Oregon State, Florida, Alabama, Ole Mis, and Iowa for Saban. Hope you loved those.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

No doubt bro. To me, comparing DiNardon't numbers to Sabans is irrelevant. The only numbers that matter are SEC West, SEC championships, and National Championships. If you compare those numbers, I believe Dinardon't has a goose egg in all 3 categories.

10. axd9142

axd9142 Founding Member

When did you become a Saban fan? When he decided to bolt for the Dolphins after repeatedly saying he would not go OR when he announced his departure on Christmas day OR when he had a 57% winning rate at Michigan State OR when he bailed out so late that we found it hard to replace him. The fact that he won 75% of his games at LSU speaks volumes of us as well as of him.