Iowa

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Dec 16, 2004.

1. ramah

ramah Founding Member

That's one helluva Big Iffffffffffffffffff

LSU has a balanced attack and Randall doesn't turn the ball over much. You'll need to stuff the LSU run to keep LSU from a blowout win.

And your front four won't do it alone, nor will they dominate a confident LSU line ... you'll have to stack the box to stop the run ... then deal with man coverage on the play action ... Zone dee :hihi:

Speeds kills, call the coroner ... hey, maybe Iowa gets 3 or 4 TOs and keeps it close ... it's happened before this year to LSU

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

No sh*t.. everyone in football from pop warner to the retirement home league blitzes.. but few, if any, blitz like LSU and have shutdown corners on both sides that keep you qb from having somewhere to throw. LSU's blitz package is so good that Bill Belicheck, the friggin guru of blitzes, comes to saban for advice. Mr. Tate will learn the meaning of the word "blitz"
    No.. LSU most likely wont spy him.. no team in the country has more team speed than LSU.. the only people on the defense that have a slower 40 time that Tate are the DT's, maybe one of the DE's.
    LSU averaged 200 yards a game, against SEC defenses, which means they specialize against the run. Look for Broussard alone to put up about 180.
    No doubt, but few teams are conditioned like LSU, simply because of the conditions that they must practice under. You dont know louisiana weather until you have experienced it. The weather for the bowl game will of course be cool, but the 95% humidity throughout the season stretches the lungs in louisiana. Look at Will Smith from Ohio State, the first round pick of the Saints. He moved to louisiana and immediately developed asthma because of the humidity...

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Well, this has been interesting to read... but, come on guys. LSU has struggled with mediocre teams this season - we can't expect a blow out against a very good Iowa team. On paper, these teams are fairly close to each other in stats although LSU has the edge I believe. Let's face it, all these things we are saying are based off of how well our team prepares and is focused, and i think most importantly, the play of our QB (whoever that might be). If the team is focused, our QB plays well - all of these very very pro-LSU predictions come true, if not....

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I think this is simply an ideal matchup for LSU... LSU struggled against primarily running teams, or teams with good balance... a passing team is ideal for LSU's defensive style. LSU has the speed rushers to hassle their qb all day and the DB's to cover the recievers.. i think webster will have the best game he has had all year because he will be somewhat healed from all the injuries he has had this year.

5. Mohawk

Mohawk Freshman

Everything I said is a big IF. I have been frustrated with Iowa being unwilling to blitz while not getting pressure on the QB. If you give any QB time, you can get picked apart. If you have a very good Oline, sucks to be us. I have just read over and over from some LSU fans that the Oline is not a strength. I am not as worried about the speed on your offensive side because I don't think the difference is as big as it is on the other side. Your defensive speed will present problems.

I just don't see how anyone can possibly think this has potential to be a blowout. Both defenses are too good, and neither offense really has the ability to light up the scoreboard. You don't think Tate will throw for 200, and I don't think you guys can run for 200. Here's hoping it comes down to special teams and turnovers, that gives Iowa its best chance. Should be fun.

6. Sorry, I havent read this whole thread but in response to the subject.. I think we are going to get killed with all these distractions. I dont mean to be a downer but I dont see how we will have a chance against a good team like that.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I have a good feeling about our game. Our OL has really stepped it up in the latter stages of the season, so I think we'll have a good day running.

Iowa fans, there is no way that Ferentz will put only four up front to stop our run. That just will not get it done--against Broussard, Addai, or even Vincent. Broussard, for instance, can flat out run over four guys and keep chugging.

QB play is important for us. Hopefully, Randall is ready to cement his legacy at LSU and to be remembered as a good QB for us. We'll see, but when he plays with poise, he's a good field general.

The distractions concern me, too, but these guys have played with character all year--and I hope that character is ingrained in them, beyond who their coach is at this point.

8. BrewHawk

BrewHawk Freshman

Pardon my confidence in our defense, but we play in a power running conference and haven't played more than seven in the box all year. We don't change what we do well to try to load up for an opponent. Everyone has their responsibilities, and know them well. This is how we're sixth in the nation in rush defense.

We don't blitz much at all. Our front four are good enough to do it by themselves, but then again their main task is to keep the offense off of our LBs Greenway, Hodge and Lewis so they are free to roam to make tackles. You will get tired of hearing their names called. Both Hodge and Greenway have over 100 tackles this year, and Greenway has been named THE top junior NFL prospect in the nation, regardless of position.

There's a reason we got to 9-2 having the statistically worst run game in the nation, and our defense is most of it. Broussard won't be running over anyone. People don't run on us, with the exception of Minnesota, who has one of, if not the best, run games in the nation. We still beat them anyway.

Randall or Russell better have their best game of the season, because we're not Arkansas, and if they don't, we'll win going away (barring TOs by our offense, of course).

Best of luck in the Saban situation, we have to deal with the same crap with Ferentz year in and year out as he interviewed with Jacksonville a couple years ago. Keep the hope and don't crucify him for trying to be as successful a coach as he can. Everyone has to live their own life. Imagine if one of you had to make a career decision with hundreds of thousands of people breathing down your neck. Tough spot for the guy, I'm sure.

Distractions, injuries, etc. are all part of the game. Whoever wins on NYD will be the better team.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

If Saban does leave I think he will coahc the team in the Bowl game and probably give LSU a little added incentive so it may actually be an advantage instead of a distraction. If no decision is made by game time I thin kit would definitely be a distraction. Especially since reporters down in Orlando will be asking a million questions about it.

10. PortlandHawk

PortlandHawk Freshman

Iowa having "no running game" is a bit deceptive. We'll have our 4th string back healthy, and while that doesn't sound like much, the drop from 1st to 4th is much less than from 4th to 5th. Simmons should be decent.

More than that, though, is that we use short passes as our "running game". We're not Texas Tech. We're not going to line up in shotgun every down and chuck it downfield. We use a lot of screens, quick outs, roll out passes, and dump off passes to the backs as a way to get the ball to guys with room to run. Basically, rather than running the ball through or off the line, we dump it to the outsides to create more room to run.