iPhone

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by TigerFan23, Aug 26, 2007.

1. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

Just hacked my phone again this week. Gotta say that I love what is possible when you do this. Video recording AND live streaming (via Qik), folders, and, best of all, custom UIs. Here's a before and after:

2. StadiumSalute

StadiumSalute It's Gameday!

I jailbroke mine a while back, but all the UIs drove me nuts because half the icons matched the theme and half kept their original icon. I couldn't find much to justify keeping it jailbroken, so I restored it.

I might take another look at it in the future.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

what are the risks with jailbreaking it? i was considering it but i really don't want to make a $200 paperweight.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

bricking it. but itunes keeps a backup and u can restore it.

go here irc.osx86.hu, #iphone

then u can iphuc ur phone (iPhone Utility Client).

have a mac ready.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Reading this thread makes me know I need a cool phone. I also knew that this morning when my students were taking a state practice test and had to turn in their phones to a basket in the front of my classroom. Every single one was eons cooler than my ghetto flip phone.

6. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

You run a lot of risks, but the chances of experiencing them are very small. Just follow the instructions to the T and you shouldn't have that big of a problem.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Definitely recommend quickpwn 2.2 (if your phone is up-to-date with the 2.2 firmware).

Once you get it installed, Cydia is now the default installer application- you can download all sorts of themes and programs. I really love the ability to tether to the 3G connection via WiFi on my laptop, and also make custom folders.

It can be very overwhelming, but with a lot of time and patience the payoff can be huge- this device is capable of so much more than Apple lets it do.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

You and I both Stacey. My wife is a regional mgr for AT&T and she called me this morning saying she won a prize and I could go to the AT&T store and pick out any phone that I want. I am staying w/ my HTC 3125. It's a smartphone and syncs w/ my Outlook and is a flip. I tend to kill the screens of phones w/ exposed screens. I'll let my 10 year old go get the fancy one!

8. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

Blackberry Bold is BALLIN. My mom got one.

On the note of HTC, tho, I had one of their first phones, an SMT5600, back when it was under the Audiovox brand. That phone was so awesome- my first camera phone, first smartphone. I loved that thing, till I switched to Verizon- and got the absolutely terrible Q.

iPhone is still the best device, period, I've ever used.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

seriously?

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

yep. I have broken (very quickly) several phones w/ exposed screens. I also really like a flip. This one does everything that I need it to. I don't need to send email, IM, anything like that. On the rare occasion that I need to check a score or something on ESPN, I can still do that. My wife has a really fancy one, my 13 year old has an iPhone, my 10 year old has something w/ a slide out keyboard. Call me an old fogy, I'm just happy w/ what I have!

I actually bought a couple extra ones off of eBay as spares!