Ipod

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by BB, Mar 20, 2005.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Well, I've joined the TF iPod Revolution! I was about to buy a mini, when my wife mentioned (reminded me) that she got a 20 GB for Christmas, and hasn't used it. So, it's mine now! :)

I've got about 800 songs on it now, and about 100 more CDs to rip. After only three days, I absolutely LOVE THIS THING!

QUESTION: I bought the iTrip FM adaptor today and tried it (briefly) in my car. I wasn't impressed with the sound quality. Any tips? I saw that you're supposed to put the volume at about 70%...done. Now what? The problem in Houston is that there is virtually NO station that doesn't have a channel either up or down the dial from it. Also, the antenna in my car is integrated in the back window...wonder if that's impacting the reception.

Any tips are much appreciated!!

2. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Thanks JV -- I'll keep that one in mind...

I got this one:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...qFv94/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.3.19.0.1.0.1.1.0.1.0.3

Anybody (Red, this means you!) have this one? It works OK, but is staticy at times. Also, it cuts off after a while, which is way far completely beyond frustrating!!! And I had the volume high enough that it wouldn't go off (supposed to anyway.)

Thanks again guys, this iPod is my favorite new gadget (actually, it's tied w/ the Valentine One radar detector.) But that's HIGH praise!!

4. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Buddy bought me one and its arguably my favorite device I have ever had

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

There are several different products for hard wiring your ipod straight to your radio. It will be controlled by your radios cd changer controls. No need for the FM modulator. Several of these products also have DSP which will restore the files to CD quality. Alot of these products advertise that they work with any OEM or aftermarket head unit.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/120213.html

http://www.monstercable.com/icruze/

http://www.theistore.com/ipod2car.html

There are several more on the market that are aftermarket head unit specific. Any of these are better than using a FM modulator. Also, some of these devices charge the ipod while you are using them.

[​IMG]

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I use the Belkin which was the first to come out two years ago. There are some newer and possibly better ones out now.

It only has static when the batteries are low or when there is a nearby station broadcasting on that frequency. It has a four-position slider that lets you select between four channels ( the lowest four which are usually unoccupied). But I have been in areas where there was static on all four. The newer transmitters let you pick any FM channel and you can do it from the Ipod screen. Some of the newer ones also take power directly from the Ipod instead of two AAA batteries. This appeals to me because I mostly use it in the car or office and the Ipod is on a power cable anyway and not using up battery power.

I also have a cassette adaptor that I had from my old CD Walkman days. It allows me to hardwire the Ipod directly to the cassette player/radio in the truck. It has superior sound to the FM transmitter, but the wire clutter and hassle-factor resuting is higher than the transmitter. My next truck will have a radio with a front-panel input jack to hardwire the ipod with a short cable. But I bet most auto manufacturers will soon offer a docking station for ipods right on the dashboard. In time it could be as common as a cup-holder.

7. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

[​IMG]

And the two are one.

8. JVincent25

I'm assuming the answer is no, but is there anyway to transfer songs from your iPod to your iTunes library?

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah refer to my link/thread to www.ephod.com

10. JVincent25

Awesome, thanks, but in case anyone else was wondering the link is www.ephpod.com