Iraqi Prime Minister visits Iran

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, Sep 14, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I asked you a serious question, but since you can't answer it, you resort to name calling again. Typical 7th grade stuff that we have come to expect. It only makes you look bad.

:lol: :lol: You have an amazing capacity for misinformation. Uranium itself cannot be exploded at all. You confuse it with highly enriched uranium, a man-made material that is fissionable. HEU is almost impossible to obtain, astonishing expensive to manufacture, and and extremely complicated to detonate, certainly not by a cellphone. :grin:

Do you really imagine that all of our traditional enemies have gone away, just because we are focused on fighting terrorists? How naive.

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

You're right. Uranium cannot be exploded and is not radioactive. No such thing as a dirty bomb. My mistake. Amazed at your breadth of knowledge.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

A dirty bomb is usually a chemical or biological weapon. While radioactive elements can be exploded it would not cause very much death and destruction. It would take a fission reaction to cause the damage of a nuke, and a cell phone, ipod, or laptop ain't gonna be able to produce that, except in 24.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

the cellphone is just the remote initiation device. i dont see the relevance. you could use a cellphone to start a toaster or the most complicated device ever created.

5. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Want to say you're wrong now or should I?

"Basically, the principal type of dirty bomb, or Radiological Dispersal Device (RDD), combines a conventional explosive, such as dynamite, with radioactive material."

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/dirty-bombs.html

It would make an area radioactive. This is where the concept of dirty bomb came from. I agree with Martin also, I did not know that a cell phone by itself was such a dangerous device....you and Red seem to think so it seems. Why don't we just carpet bomb with cell phones? A cell phone is just a trigger folks.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

What did I say that was incorrect. Exploding an amound of uranium with TNT will not make a vey large area radioactive. The distribution of TNT isn't that great. It would take tons (literally) of TNT and large amounts of Uranium to make LA a wasteland for 25 years as you suggested in your previous post. A dirty bomb may well cause the shutdown of a part of a city for several weeks, and cause some economic damage, but the roadio active area would be containable and could be cleaned in a matter of months. And while it is a threat it is not a threat in the magnitude you suggest.

From your source:

It was my error in assuming you meant the cell phone was the power source of the explosion as in the movies.

7. red55

Of course, but he stated that all it took was raw uranium ore from Africa and a cell phone to "explode" uranium.

8. red55

You are misinformed, sir. Supafan is absolutely correct.

Not even close.

Uranium is not radioactive enough to make a dirty bomb. This is an established fact. A dynamite bomb with uranium would not contaminate anything significantly. It's not radioactivity that makes uranium a fuel for nuclear power and bombs. It's another property, uranium's ability in highly enriched forms to sustain atomic chain reactions that does so.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

What utter and complete horse****. I wonder how many of those ****s are involved with some sort of plot against us right now. No wonder we're not making significant progress if we're restricted by outdated mandates against an unconventional enemy.