Is a "Fat Tax" coming to the US?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by flabengal, Nov 4, 2010.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

that doesnt work. in no small measure because we have too cheap, too poor food

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

bull shyt. we also have healthy food available. with fast food even its there. maybe not in the same numbers, but it is.

the problem is people choosing only the unhealthy and too much of it. you could give a person a healthy diet and the can still be a fat ass if they eat too much of it and dont exercise.

hell, i'm a sonic junkie. thats a pretty well known fact among my friends, to the point it is a joke. yet i am 5'7" and weigh 120 pounds. why? because of personal responsibility. i allow myself the junk, but its not the only thing. i cook healthy and even when i dont have time to cook and have to rely on fast food, i just as often choose healthy as unhealthy. i'll kill you for a sonic chili cheese coney, but i refuse to get fat from them.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

That's because Whole Foods tries to make you believe only their food is healthy. Martin is right, healthy food is very cheap. It may take a little more work because it's not pre packaged in a meal but overall, very cheap.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

really? you think that if the fast food was more expensive that less people would not eat it?

of course personal responsibility trumps all this. but that concept is off the table. it is a fact that this country's people are fat and getting fatter. they are unhealthy and getting more unhealthy. it is a bigger economic drain on this country than anything---and its getting bigger. what's worse, another very minor infringment of "liberty", or doing nothing to combat the biggest threat to the US?

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Airport, phone posting, cast. So much to say. I'll definitely be getting back to this when I can post for real!

6. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Ding, ding, ding...

This is the correct answer but not one they'll pursue because it's easier to blame others for your own failures. Hmmm...sound familiar?

Suggesting personal accountability will surely elicit charges of bias, prejudice, sexism, racism, bigotry, homophobia, etc.

Once again...the majority of our problems would be solved if people would simply take a step back, look in the mirror, reassess their own actions, and then move forward.

If you can't make it in this country (health, happiness, prosperity, etc.) then you have nobody to blame except the man in the mirror. (Too bad Michael Jackson didn't take his own advice.)

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

all this is clear. but the point, at least for me and i guess many of the policy makers, is not to lay blame but to mitigate the problem. establishing a "just say no" program wont work.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

the food isnt even unhealthy. its mismanaging the food that is unhealthy.

how about this. yunno we already have subsidies in place that makes this food cheaper. instead of controlling it from both sides, taxing it, and subsidizing it at the same time, because you are so obsessed with controlling everything, why dont we just kill the subsidies so your goal of more expensive food happens, and we save tax money at the same time.

dont you see that part of this mess is already caused by the government because we subsidize this food?

and again, dont you see how it unfair for a person like me to pay a tax on unhealthy food when i genuinely need high calorie foods because i exercise so much? i am not fat and i am absurdly healthy by any measure. but i still eat mcribs becaus i love them. why should i pay the tax, i am not a burden on the healthcare system.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

wont work to do what? control people's behavior? why do you want to control folks? because you have to pay for their health care? well you dont have to pay for their health care! make people be responsible!

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

of course! why should okie pay taxes for the "sin" of eating this awesome coniy?

again, the foods themselves, all foods, everything you have ever eaten, is fine as long as you manage it properly and eat the right amount of it.

yesterday i had a double cheeseburger at five guys burger and large cajun fries. it must have been ten trillion calories. but i ran 12 miles! why should i be taxed for my behavior?