Is a "Fat Tax" coming to the US?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by flabengal, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Texas_Tiger

Texas_Tiger Tiger Stuck in Aggie Land

Really? It's only off the table if we allow it to be.

Where does it stop? After the fast food places, you have Baskin Robbins, Ben and Jerry's, Hersheys, Frito Lays, etc. All those big nasty corporations that force feed you their products.

Then maybe we can go after the mom and pop restaurants, or the single proprietor cafe's. Maybe charge a calorie usage tax or a gluttony tax.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

and i think it bears repeating. if your goal is to make some foods cost more, you can do that by killing the billions of subsidy we pay to make them cheaper. so the "bad" foods are more expensive, and we pay less taxes. why dont we try that before we start taxing stuff.

jeebus, is there no part of our damn lives that goverment does not want to manage the **** out of?

3. kluke

kluke Founding Member

There is truth here. We have subsidised, and may still be for all I know, tobacco, sugar, and high fructose corn syrup to name a few. All of which are a direct cause of some of the most serious health problems in America. And this was truly a bipartisan effort.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't give a rats ass about high-calorie, high-fat foods being taxed. Obese people don't eat because it's cheap, they eat because they have a disorder that taxing won't fix. They have to change their metabolism through discipline and sometimes psychotherapy.

Being obese has a built-in incentive. You're slower and you don't live as long.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

we've discussed this before but few others want to. i am against farm subsidies. when i talk about food is too cheap, this is largely the cause.

again, bfd. is it fair for a 24 yr old male to pay more for car insurance even with a spotless record? public policy has to deal with #s

this isnt about fairness. its about whats best for the country. often they can be one and the same, but not always.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

so you agree, the tax isnt necessary, lets just kill the subsidy. less government, not more.

no, not BFD. actualy big deal. fairness is a real goal worth pursuing and shouldnt be lost in your relentless pursuit of controlling everything.

again, it was thought it was best for the country to subsidize corn and wheat, see how that worked out?

lets assume that it is best for people to tax fatty foods (it isnt, it will just make fat idiots more poor), that still doesnt justify it. you have to let people be free, jesus F'ing christ!

some people like to be fat, they love to eat and party, and yunno, good for them. stop placing your values on everyone.

and you might be saying "yeah but it costs us all via health care that we all pay for!". and my response if of course that you shouldnt be paying for anyone's health care but your own.

liberals, they just think they should have control of every goddamn aspect of everything.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

yes, ok.

tell that to the conservatives that want tax cuts for the rich because that creates jobs.

you can call it "controlling" if you want, but isnt that what gov and public policy is supposed to do? there is a desired outcome. make policy within the law that leads to that outcome. i worry about real things, not about vacant excuses about "controlling" gov and loss of "liberty".

the main cost will not be health care, although that will be huge, but loss productivity. it will be enormous.

if you dont think it will be a problem, well thats one thing, but if you acknowledge the problem and only advocate for public safety announcements, then thats defeatist.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

people keeping what they earn is not unfair. in fact a flat tax is most fair.

crazy me i call it like it is.

no. the purpose of government is to provide a free and peaceful framework under which you can do your own thing. the purpose of government isnt to make sure you are skinny. staying skinny is your own responsibility. i cant believe i even have to say that.

never have excuses been less vacant. liberty is all that matters in the context of this discussion. when you are trying to justify controlling citizens, make sure it is for something damn serious, like protection from getting blown up. we dont need to protect the stupidass fatties from eating. they can just go ahead and get fat its their right.

loss to who? why i am looking out for the interests of whoever? i dont care! i can manage my damn self! leave me the F alone! i want to buy unhealthy foods without you intervening. stop intervening in every aspect of everyone's life. stop getting in everyone's business! i can manage it so dont make me pay extra for anything, ya jerk.

i know everyone is an incompetent oaf and cant stay healthy. they eat crap and lie around like idiots and look like whales. it is disgusting. i know this. persoanlly i hate fat people and think they are lazy and ugly. i do everything i can to not be one of them. but at the end of the day it is none of my damn business and not my freaking responsibility.

i dont advocate for anything except you keeping your hands off. that means no more subsidy. if you were my friend and were fat i would ask you to come running with me. if you dont want to, fine, its your life. try to understand that not every problem is your to manipulate and solve.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

you know who might quit eating it? (and its a big "might".) poeple like me and martin that already take personal responsibility and realize there are choices. the fat ass that doesnt care? they still wont care. and they will keep on eating it. if possible heart disease and diabetes arent deterrents, a few more dollars here and there wont be.

really? since when? i dont remember getting the memo. that has got to be one of the more absurd things ive read in a long time.

man, i can see me using that line in business. that'll get me far when i f' up!

golly gee beav, what's a little loss of liberty?

a little here, a little there.....:rolleye33:

since loss of liberty is no big deal to you, i'm sure you'll love this proposal. we just make being able to purchase fast or unhealthy foods tied to the scale. you tip em, you aint gettin em. no sirree bob, dont wanna let that fat ass in the door. you get you magic formula of keeping fatty away from the fries, i get my cheese coney without having to pay for someone elses lack of self control.

i know. i shouldnt have proposed that. some maroon somewhere is gonna go "saaaaaayyyyyy, now that might work".:rolleye33:

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

gumborue will probably rep you for the suggestion.