Is anyone else getting worried about recruiting?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by max, Jan 12, 2005.

1. max

max Founding Member

1. It seems like all the decent Louisiana prospects have already committed other than Nic Harris (who is probably going to MI) and WR Aaron Brown.

2. Alot of the top out of state prospects like Granger, McNeil, Turner, etc. Have recently ruled us out.

3. We probably need at 10-15 more recruits because of transfers which will probably be worse with a new regime.

4. The guys that I hear about like keeping Holiday as a greyshirt is not exciting.

5. Every day that passes without a commit moves us closer to signing day (only about 20 days away).

6. Many of our current commits have begun taking visits or decommited.

7. I don't see us getting many more 4 star type recruits like we were use to under Saban. I have a feeling we are going to have the rest of this class filled with half 2 star and half 3 star. It is going to look like a OSU class.

8. I know people say the number of stars doesn't mean anything, but past experience says that 4 star type recruits are much much more likely to turn into big time players than 2 star recruits.

9. I have a feeling that we are not going to get RP, and we are going to end up with a 2 star like Brock Landry.

10. Am I wrong? Give me some solid reasons to make me feel better.

2. TN Tiger

TN Tiger Founding Member

Yep, I am getting a little concerned, but I think it is the nature of the beast when you change coaches. Spurrier is struggling big time.....can't even find a QB! Hopefully now that Jimbo is staying around we can get some of these O guys that have left us to come back. We can afford to have one so-so year, but next year will be critical if we do!

3. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

We've already signed 6 4* prospects, I'm 90% sure another one is on the way with RJ Jackson, Chris Keys could still switch his commitment back, and we're far from out of the running for RP (and all the commits may be taking visits, but I see them all as rock solid). Throw in that this a bad year (depth wise) for Louisiana talent and I'm not that concerned, we'll somehow muster out a top 20 class, next year, its back to the top.

4. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

3. We probably need at 10-15 more recruits because of transfers which will probably be worse with a new regime.

I'm almost 100% positive that has nothing to do with this class. And don't expect more than around 6 transfers.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Recruiting looks like it may take a hit this year with the timing of the coaching change but it is far more important to get the right head coach and assistants than it is to salvage one recruiting class. The team will be stacked with talent for the next couple of years on what Saban recruited alone. Miles will get to know the coaches and high school athletes in La this year and will be better prepared to sign a top class in 2006. Next year will give us a much better idea of Miles ability to recruit.

6. Methuselah

Methuselah Freshman

Only time will tell

Of course, everything else being equal, you'd want as many 4 or more star recruits as you can get.

But sometimes I wonder if it might not be a blessing in disguise if once in a while you miss out on a more sought after recruit and get a harder worker if less talented player in his place. Might be just the spark that ignites the team.

Chemistry means a lot on football teams and you never know quite what will make one gell.

Does anyone know how highly players like Matt Mauck and Jack Hunt were rated comming out of high school?

7. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I am concerned, but honestly I'm more excited. I wonder if Les Miles may have a few recruits that have given him a verbal just not announced yet at his request. I do hope we get OT Calvin Wilson & ATL R.Jackson & Another OL. I also think Safety Nic Harris is headed elsewhere, but I wonder if we might land former OSU recruit #15 Safety Gremon Coffman? Chris Keys is also a possibility. Once the staff is announced we may have a Real shot with LB Jon Demps or longshot Luther Brown. There could be some defections from other teams to LSU. It should be interesting to see what the Staff comes up with on short notice.

8. max

max Founding Member

Why didn't we offer S Marvin White? Rivals rated him as the 17th best JC overall in the nation and with 4 stars. He apparently wanted to come to LSU but was not offered so he went to TCU. I know we have some good safeties but it seems like we could always use another excellent player and with his size he could play LB or S. Does anyone know why Miles didn't offer him?

Also, do you think we are going to have alot of signees that had originally committed to other schools? I say this because of Perrilloux, Keys, Farr, and the many excellent Louisiana players that have already committed to other schools. Unless we run the table on the rest of the uncommitted guys who are interested in us, we will have to take somebody else's commits or settle for a bunch of 2 star guys.

9. philter

philter Founding Member

I think White had only 2 years to play, with 1 year for learning that left 1 solid year to play...I think that's why he wasn't offered.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

If we don't have a boatload of transfers we are not going to have many more schollies to give out right now. We only have 9 seniors on schollarship i think, we may lose Niswanger, we will lose probably about 5-6 transfer as it looks right now, maybe more later. We lost 2 schollie to sanctions and we had 2 transfers coming in along with the 2 grayshirts. We can't take 15 more players, no room.