Is anyone really worried about Mauck?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple Jungle, Aug 18, 2002.

1. I know a lot of people are questioning Mauck's ability to lead the team this year. I don't feel that bad about Mauck going into the season.

I think after coming into the SEC championship game and playing so well that the guy has a level head on his shoulders.

He had to be mentally prepared to play in case Ro got hurt. When Rohan got hurt in the UF game, he did throw an interception on his first drive against Florida, but that was his first action in five years.

I think Mauck has the maturity and temperment to handle being the starting QB. I might be naive, but I have confidence in the guy.

Am I being retarded here?

2. BBF Admin

BBF Admin Guest

You're not being retarded. Mauck has looked very good in practice thus far.

It will take him a few games to get the kinks worked out, but he will be fine.

Just be prepared for a ton of running plays in the VT game. I don't think they will throw him to the dogs right away.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Lets give him a chance. He did play a major role in Winning the SEC for us last year.
    He deserves it.

So I bet he suprises many of us.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Hope things get better....

From what i heard from an eye-witness he was not very good in the scrimmage on saturday. i understand he didn't throw the ball very well and didn't look to have good composure in the pocket. Hopefully, and what i suspect is he just had a bad day, everyone does.

5. tack

tack Guest

The one question I have about Mauck is his arm strength. We have a lot of speed and talent at reciever that can get down the field fast and can stretch the field. Can Mauck get the ball there?Can he zip the ball on an out route? Can he quickly get the ball to a secondary reciever when the primary is covered? We know he can scramble when things break down and can really keep his composure under big time pressure (the SEC championship game). Can he gun it like Rohan or Josh B. I didn't see the spring game and haven't heard any reports about him on this particular aspect. I am confident that he is a very heady QB who can make things happen and will lead this team to a great season. I suppose all questions will be answered soon. I can't wait for the Virginia Tech game.

6. TigerSaint

TigerSaint Guest

I know that Bennie Brazell had to lay out to catch one of Mauck's deep passes and he's one of the fastest people in the country.

Only time will tell how good Mauck really is. We're lucky to have him seeing that he searched coach Saban out who happend to be here at LSU. Had he not, we'd be starting some fellas that just aren't quite ready to start in the SEC.

I hope Tiger fans have some patience with Mauck and give him some time to develop.

7. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I am with you Saint. Us Tiger fans are sometimes our own worst enemy. Saban pointed out after the Ole Miss game. Not that people here are just many of us in general. If Mauck does not have Rohan like numbers, I can hear the post game now.

"Mauck, is not our QB, blah blah blah.."
    Saban knows what is best for our team, who gives us the best chance to win.

I think he will be fine, but we must give him time. Even if we have a "Dissapointing year" meaning we dont win the SEC title again. Give Saban, and Mauck some time.

Geaux Tigers.

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Not necessarily Mauck but maybe the O-Line a little bit. His blind side is protected by a guy starting his first game EVER in a hostile environment. I know Whitworth is a huge guy. Is he also quick enough to keep ends off of Mauck? Has anyone seen how he has performed in practices against our ends (Spears, Hill, etc.)? What about when you combine bringing LB's along with the ends?
    I think Mauck will hold up as long as the line does.

Someone posted on VT's board that they went to high school with Mauck and Mauck rarely threw in high school, they were an option team. He did add that Mauck pitched (and played catcher of course) and threw in the 90's so he must have a strong arm. I'm still a believer that a college QB can be successful without a strong arm but it doesn't hurt to have one.

9. Hub

Hub Guest

No fault of his own

There is good and bad in answering your question on Whitworth blocking Spears & Hill. The bad first, i here he doesn't do well blocking them. The good, NO ONE in practice can block them. Especially Spears.

So if you're practicing against the best it will only make you better!

10. Hub

Hub Guest

You never know what can happen?

You can't judge the guy on 2 halfs of football. both of his prior appearances were being thrown into action unexpectedly. One he performed incredibly the other he performed ok. Now he gets to enter the game when it starts and set his own tempo. Good or Bad?......We will see in 6 days.

I personally think he is going to be ok. Just play within himself and don't do anything stupid. 2 obvious issues (1) He is unquestionably more mobile than Rohan...nothing else needs to be seen this is proven (2) Passing skills...we don't know......he's thrown maybe 20 passes in college. the first 5-10 or so in a "rallying" effort against Florida and the rest as a change of pace against Tenn. Also, the guy does not look to get rattled....that's half the battle.....keep your wits about you and you'll do fine.