Is Bush the worst President in history?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Feb 17, 2004.

1. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or Laws of and State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

--Direct Quote from the US Constitution, Article VI

2. CottonBowl'66

The last six words of my quote of the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution should read....

..."ANY State to the Contrary Notwithstanding."

3. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

what about the Tariff of Abominations that S. Carolina threatened to secede over in the 1828s. It seems that the south didn't win the vote over that protective tariff. It was also apparently enough for a state to threaten secession about then.

4. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

CB66=Ramah?

I never said that Germany and Japan were "the good guys". What I said was, just like most other wars we've gotten into, including this one, our leaders have told us it was about one thing when in reality it was about something else entirely different.
    Any person who has even a slight knowledge of psychology or psychiatry knows that this is one of the major tenets of counseling and any one with half a brain knows that this is one of the great propaganda tools to get people to follow you where you want to lead them. Tell them what they want to hear and they'll follow you anywhere.
    In counseling, any good counselor knows that what a person does, why he says he does it and why he really does it are entirely different things.
    Right now, our leaders have us so scared of terrorism that they can do any damn thing they please and get away with it. God help you if you ever run afoul of the Patriot Act.
    You can call me whatever you like, CB, I don't really care. But don't be hypocritical. You tell others about the sources for your information and then rip them because they don't bother to check it out. Don't rip me until you've checked my source. Go read the book I mentioned and also read "And I Was There" by RA Edwin T. Layton. He was Admiral Husband Kimmel's Intelligence chief at PH. He makes it very clear that intelligence vital to the defense at PH was withheld by Washington.
    I guess I should have clarified that Japan's attack on PH was a "sneak" only in that we didn't know they were going to hit PH. We thought they were going to attack the Phillipines. But we knew they were going to atack and explicit orders from Gen.George Marshall was, "It is desired that Japan fire the first shot."
    I don't know how much you know about WWII but i'm 55 yrs. old and been studying it since I was old enough to read. I don't blame people for getting upset when they hear things about it that go against tradition and the heroic deeds of our parents and grandparents. I had my father and 5 uncles fight in it. But their deeds do not reflect upon the causes of the war and the causes of the war do not detract from their heroism and sacrifice. But many lives were lost in battles that did not need to be fought in order to make heroes of generals and to enrich the pockets of industrialists.
    And whether you like it or not, the reason I put forth for the Civil War were the reasons the war was fought. Slavery was what the North used to justify it. Eventually, slavery would have ended in the South on its own, as the population and industry grew. That is the reason that the North got rid of it and went to the type of economy it had.
    And you don't know me so don't go accusing me of bigotry or anything else. If you can't keep your posts to the subject without getting personal, then I suggest you look elsewhere for your entertainment.

5. CottonBowl'66

Mike, your explanation of how the USA got into WWII is borderline Roswell, New Mexico.

6. CottonBowl'66

Gimp, what I said was that the South won every vote on the protective tariff in the decade (actually more than that) before the Civil War. Stop lying about what I have been saying.

Folks, in the Tariff of Abominations in the 1820's a relatively high protective tariff was pass into law in America. It was rescinded about ten years later in the mid-1830's and it remained relatively low until the Civil War.

It would have continuted to stay low if the South had not seceded. They defeated every attempt to raise it until the Civil War.