Is Bush the worst President in history?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Feb 17, 2004.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

And just because YOU state something to be a fact, COMMUNIST, doesn't necessarily make it so. So go bite it.

2. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

The U.S. House of Representatives, under the influence of this Northern protectionist lobby, "actually passed the Morrill tariff in its 1859–60 session, prior to the departure of southern congressman from the House of Representatives," write McGuire and Van Cott professors from the University of Akron and Ball State University, respectively, in a July 2002 article in Economic Inquiry, "This vote took place on 10 May 1860, well before Lincoln's election, Confederate secession, and Lincoln's inauguration."

Moreover, the House vote of 105–64 was very lopsided in terms of Northern supporters and Southern opponents of the Morrill Tariff (Congressman Justin Morrill was a steel manufacturer from Vermont). "Only one yes vote was from a secessionist state (Tennessee)" and "only 15 no votes came from northern states."

The Daily Chicago Times reported on this on Dec 10, 1860:

The South has furnished near three-fourths of the entire exports of the country. Last year she furnished seventy-two percent of the whole . . . We have a tariff [the Morrill Tariff] that protects our manufacturers from thirty to fifty percent, and enables us to consume large quantities of Southern cotton, and to compete in our whole home market with the skilled labor of Europe. This operates to compel the South to pay an indirect bounty to our skilled labor, of millions annually.

3. MFn G I M P

Now the actual bill may not have been signed until Lincoln took office in 1861, however, the fact remains that the tariff was passed in 1860 and was a major reason for the south to secede from the union. Also take into account that the Confederate Constitution banned the slave trade and said that the CSA would allow free states to join the confederacy.

Article I Section 9 Clause I: The importation of negroes of the African race from any foreign country other than the slaveholding States or Territories of the United States of America, is hereby forbidden; and Congress is required to pass such laws as shall effectually prevent the same.

Article I Section 9 Clause II: Congress shall also have power to prohibit the introduction of slaves from any State not a member of, or Territory not belonging to, this Confederacy.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

There are many here, including you CB, who have much more knowlege about the Civil War than I do. So, I would be willing to concede the point on the Morrill Tariff to you. But, you have not responded to MFn G I M P's seemingly irrefutable posts on the subject of slavery, as a cause in fact of the War. Does your silence indicate that he is right and you are wrong?

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Quoting the Confederate Constitution Article 1 section 9 paragraph 1

"The importation of negroes of the African race, from any foreign country accept slave holding state in the United States of America is hereby forbidden, and Congress is required to pass such laws to efectually prevent the same."

This was the first legislation to ever stem the slave trade in America. IT IS FOUND IN THE CONSTITUTION OF THE C.S.A.

Yankee apologists, are perhaps carpetbaggers/scalawags like CottonBowl try to paint this picture of Lincoln the emancipator and the just North coming into the Southern Nation to free the slaves. This is one of the greatest myths ever perpetuated by historians. There is 0 basis in fact for this theory. The truth is the Yankee states sold off their slaves to the agrarian economy driven south because slave labor had become to expensive for an industrial economy (the north). The Yankees did not free their slaves they sent them south. Further on this point all the major slave markets were in the even unto the time of the war.

Lastly the Union states were not slave free as Kentucky and Maryland were both slave states that did not seceede.

The emancipation of the slaves was not a result of Yankee moral supperiority as much as was meant to punish the southrons.

Let me add here a few more facts on Abe Lincoln.

He was the only president to ever order a mass execution. Minnesota was threatening secession in 1861 because of an Indian uprising that the Army had been stretched to thin to handle. Lincoln appeased the secessionists by having a public execution where 53 Indian prisoners who were not even of the rebelling tribe were executed.

Lincoln ordered a Col Turchin who had been court marshalled for knowingly allowing his men to rape and pillage, and encouraging the to do so promoted for his actions.

I detest Abe Lincoln for everything he was, but even more so for the myths people like Cottonbowl perpetuate about him.

6. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

The Morril tariff was passed after the Southerners seceded and they left the Congress. End of story.

7. CottonBowl'66

Whether southern whites owned slaves or not was irrelevent to how they felt about slavery as an institution. Virtually ALL southern whites OPPOSED ending slavery.

Vicious propaganda in the years before the war had poor southern whites terrified of what would happen if blacks were freed. They thought white women would be raped in masses and that blacks would outvote them at the polls.

8. CottonBowl'66

So we have another attempt to jusitify the South's position on the Civil War. It never fails.

The South seceded so they would be free to continue slavery, could perhaps conquer Cuba and Mexico and set up slavery states there and perhaps contest the North for territory in the West.

Many people in the South advocated creating a huge slave empire rimming the Gulf of Mexico. Did you know that?

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You are freakin' unbelievable. Were you alive in 1850? You respond to posts as though you have 1st hand knowlege. Either refute the quotes posted by Gimp or shut the f*ck up. Man, I know you were never in the military. You would be in the Guiness Book for most "G.I. Showers".

10. MFn G I M P

The morrill tariff was passed in Congress in it's 1859-1860 session, which was before any southern states seceeded from the union, but it wasn't signed until March 2, 1861. Therefore that means that the tariff rates were about to be upped to about 30-40% by Congress, rather the northern states, before any states suceeded, thus it was one of the reasons that the southern states did secede.