IS Ethnic Profiling Justified?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by JSracing, Jun 23, 2004.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am not a five year old child, i know what your question is meant to imply, and answering it only makes a point that you mistakenly believe is relevant.

i am disappointed in you that you think the answer to your question makes even the slightest point, but obviously the answer is no. the fact that you asked your question demonstrates you have a child-like understanding of the issue.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

this is maybe the weakest and stupidest post i have ever seen on this board. baiting us to take a stance opposing one you dont even have the guts to admit to having.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Come on, this one's going to be a judgement call.

No, police should never have the right to just pull someone over who is wearing Arab clothes and harrass them when there is no real reason for doing so. It ain't the American way.

However, police conducting a suicide bombing investigation or security guards screening airline passengers would be negligent and irresponsible if they didn't pay very close attention to each and every Islamic male between the ages of 17 and 40. It's only common sense and violates nobody's rights in these instances.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

obviously, and i think everyone knows this. people only disagree in order to cast others as racists in a tough situation where singling people out is necessasary to prevent ourselves from getting murdered. to oppose racial profiling of muslims in airports and such is dangerous, pompous, stupid, and anyone who would oppose it is the worst sort of person, caring more about their own indignancy than our collective safety.

5. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

Martin, you think only of yourself. Every point someone who disagrees with you makes you respond with an insult. You were the big bully in high school, huh. Somebody gonna put a foot in your behind if you keep it up. Then you always know what people are thinking. Man, you just got problems but im going to let you're family deal with that crap. It's so easy to say it's alright to profile someone else when you're not the one being profiled. All I'm saying is if you pay so much attention to these Muslims, it opens the door for some idiotic white or black man to perform a terroistic attack. We just have to be careful. Go ahead Marty boy, blast away.

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

LOTTERY, you are a classic case of the lifelong victim. The ready made excuse issuer.

I have been stopped on the way home from a bar on a Friday night by a police officer who saw me hanging out the window talking to two phillies we later went and ate breakfast with and later hot-tubbed with.

I was stopped on suspicion of DWI. I had not drank one iota that night, for the simple reason I was driving. But, I was leaving a bar, yelling at two girls, with a carful of other guys, and it stands to reason that there's a pretty good chance I might be inebriated having come out of that location and exhibiting that behavior.

When I was pulled over, I was nervous, but I knew why. I also knew that the police officer wouldn't be doing his job. I have been pulled over for DWI before, been arrested for DWI before (Charges dropped, thanks to my knowledge of the 5th and 6th amendment rights and shoddy/shady/silly police work on the part of the Denham Springs Police, but that's another story). I know that they have a thankless task.

But, it's one I'm glad they take seriously. Had he not been watching, or pulled me or someone else over that night, who might have run a red light, killing me instantly?

The probable cause to pull me over was in full effect. I made no bones about it, and respected him "protecting and serving" the community's best interests.

What you fail to realize is that you continually and habitually relate the experiences and situations that are relavant to the security of your local, state, and national community to you personally. That's simply not the way we work.

It's not respect everyone, all the time. Freedom is merely the space inside of which the rule of law binds and bounds us throughout our every day life. It's the definition of the boundary of your limit. It defines what you can do, and clearly defines what you cannot do.

What we-as a community-cannot do is to live in fear and live in worry. With a limited knowledge base of the language, customs and background of the Arabian American Community, and knowing that National Security is without question the number one goal and agenda piece for the government at this point, AT THE CURRENT POINT OF OUR LIFETIMES IN THIS NATION'S HISTORY, the greater good is well-served by casting a wary eye in the direction of those who fit the description.

Past behavior is the best indicator of future action. If Muslims commit terrorist acts in a larger number than other segments of the community-both here and abroad (which is the case)-then it stands to reason that the greater good of our community is served by casting a jaundiced eye in the direction of Muslims or Arabian Americans.

Call it what you like, but I GUARANTEE you that if you got on a first class flight and had a man wearing a turban and a flowing tunic styled suit, dar complected with heavy dark facial hair and a rather large carry on, and asked you to place his bag in the overhead compartment, and you good naturedly took it from him as a sign of your affable nature and then heard that bag ticking, you wouldn't be thinking it was an alarm clock...

Now blab away...Reiterate, regurgitate, and rehash...It's what your best at...

7. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

Oh really. I am a lifelong victim making excuses. It's great you know all about me. You must have ESP. You guys think you're going to insult me and I'm going to run away. Unfortunately, many of our minority politicians have done this. What you think isn't always right and im going to let you know. If their is probable cause, yes, please question a person about his involvement in any dangerous activity. Your example is irrelevant b/c what im talking about is just interrogating or harrassing individuals just b/c of their race. You know if a black cop stopped you for that DWI just because, you would be claiming racism. Go ahead, deny it.

8. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

what I have noticed about this poster is that when someone hits him with a generous dose of the truth, he takes it as an insult. I find it quite funny and yet somehow pitiful that someone could find common sense, insulting.
    :dis:

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

incorrect. when the dc sniper was killing, i was thinking it must be a white man, everyobody knows crazed maniac serial killers are historically white guys. i would have hoped the cops were profiling whites. i would think cops should suspect me more than a black man for non-terrorist type serial killings.

of course, they would have been wrong, but it wouldnt have been irrational for them to think that.

but of course it was a black man, who ordinarily would leave the serial killing to disgruntled whites like ted bundy or charles manson or david berkowitz, but since this particular black guy was muslim, he became a murderer.

if i was muslim, and i was being profiled, i would accept and understand it when i went through tougher checks at airports. and i would know who to blame, not the americans being murdered by muslims, but the killers themselves, my fellow muslims.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Very good threat. Very spirited debate.

I elect LOTTERY as our next head of National Security. It's time we start going after all those caucasion and african-americans that's behind all this terrorism.