Is Iona this year's UAB with their backcourt?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Mar 13, 2006.

1. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

I've read a fair amount about Iona's backcourt. It seems they have a similar style to UAB. We want a half court game they want a track meet.

I still like our chances and it set's up for a fine match up against Syracuse. Look for D mitch to play heads up against McNamara.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

their D is too mediocre to be as good as UAB.

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I agree that they're a team built to give LSU some trouble---strong guard play, love to force turnovers and run. LSU, conveniently enough, turns the ball over quite a bit for being such a good team.

Fortunately, Tack Minor---who seemed to me to have about 800,000 turnovers in last year's UAB game, give or take---isn't on the court this season. Also, I believe that turnovers are more a product of poor focus than anything---and it sure seems to me like John Brady is dialed in right now as a coach.

He's saying the right things and doing the right things, IMO. This team will be focused. Glenn Davis will absolutely crush in this game, by the way.

LSU wins by 12.

4. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

we will destroy iona. then boeheim will teach brady all about x's and o's.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

maybe, but it wont just happen. gd cant just decide to be focused and take over the game. i mean, cmon, he isnt wilt chamberlain. there is a good chance iona will zone and double or triple glen. and if they do it right, he must make the right decisions. he has not always done that.

even if gd isnt able to get the ball or doesnt do well with it, LSU could certainly win. mostly because of D. i suspect that our perimeter D will be solid enough to keep them from going nuts. especially with tt having their back.

id bet LSU will come out with dm shooting from the hip. if he's on fire--game over. itll really open up the middle. if dm is off, gt or tm needs to hit. otherwise gd better be sharp. either passing or making quick moves against the zone. LSU's dominance on the boards will make up for many mistakes.

dmitch couldnt throw it in the ocean last year. youd hope you can count on him in his senior year. but you wouldve thought you couldve depended on hudson last year.

the more i think about it, the more i realize that LSU will have to play one of their poorest games of the year and iona will have to play their best to win. we'll see.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If LSU wins will you smile and be happy?:wink:

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

if i could catch my breath