Is it just me, or does anyone else think the Bobby Williams hire was OUTSTANDING?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Feb 9, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

This guy coached the wideouts for Detroit this year, and has head coach experienced at the collegiate level, and also is used to Saban and experienced.

I think the combination of Muschamp (albeit for only a few years more, probably), Fisher, and Williams, along with Saban's galvanizing presence, will provide a stability amongst the coaching staff from here on out...

The DB coach's we all know will come and go...Might as well call them glorified "highly compensated Grad Assistants"...

Dooley's also another guy that's been recruiting coordinator in the past, touched base with most of the players during that process, and is a younger guy who can relate as well...

I really don't see the lack of continuity amongst our coaching staff being a problem anymore when you look at it logically...

Anyone else agree?

2. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

I really have admired Muschamp's intelligence. I am not talking about his defensive game-planning or football IQ. This man knows that if he puts his pride aside he can become the next Saban/Belichick, he is the next in line. He is learning a system that has one a NC and Super Bowl in the same year. Muschamp figured out long ago that if he sticks with it he is on his way to a top notch head coaching job with an icredible resume.

I have to agree on the DB coaches these guys are a dime a dozen to Nick. There will always be turnover there.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Sounds like a good hire but only time will tell. He wasn't exactly a hit in Detroit and his time at Mich St wasn't all that great either but I don't think Saban would hire him unless he knew he could coach and Saban has had plenty of time to evaluate his ability.

4. alaman

alaman Founding Member

Depends upon whether he can still recruit Florida like he used to. He was Mich. State's main Fla. recruiter under Saban.

5. TigerPrideLSU

TigerPrideLSU Founding Member

I think Coach Williams will be a great coach for LSU. Like TwistedTiger said, if Coach Saban didn't think he was a great coach, he wouldn't be here today.

6. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

If he's good enough by Nick, he's good enough by me.

I think Nick's acuity with coaches and their abilities is as good as it is with players.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Some think that Williams will be waiting for an LSU coordinator position to come open next year with Jimbo Fisher and Will Muschamp being courted as potential head coach material. He has worked as a coodinator for Nick before.

But, I think he's marking time here until the college head coaching job he's looking for comes open. Meanwhile, we get a very senior assistant coach for a few years. I'll bet he's named associate head coach soon and perhaps relieve Nick of some of his administrative load.

8. ahdamico

ahdamico Freshman

Bobby Williams is an outstanding hire. He has been with Nick before, so he knows Nick's way of doing things. He has been a head coach, but was not successful. For this reason, I feel we will have him for a good while bdfore he gets another head offer, if he does. His contacts in Florida are a plus. He must still have them because as HC at Mich St., he was always in on some good recruits.

Tony

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Huge cheer at Bash.

Coach Williams got a very loud cheer at the bash when introduced with all of the coaches.

Only Jimbo, Will and CNS got louder cheers.

Great hire for LSU. Great to have Coach Williams aboard.

:geaux:

:lsug:

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yo Tony,

Good to see you on Tigerforums! This is a great board.