Is it time to lower the Corporate Tax Rate?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Mar 29, 2011.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

No. They want to quit subsidizing an arm of the Democrat Party.

2. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Many states have sales taxes only. An income tax of 10% for every business with absolutly no loopholes or credits of any kind whatsoever. Citizens have a sales tax only. All business' would still pay the sales tax. You say the rich don't pay enough but half the country pays nothing now. I'm sure a compromise would have to be worked out. Say 33% on earnings greater than a million. What I am getting at is there are too many people paying no taxes at all. They get the same benifits as everyone else but pay nothing. The rich also find ways to get around paying taxes. If there was a sales tax then since the rich spend more they will pay more. The poorer people would not pay taxes on food , medical or utilities. They would be taxed on disposable income just as the rich. Everyone would have skin in the game. But that wouldn't be wealth distribution and would be socially unjust. It's ok for me to pay taxes and my helper not to even though he drives on the same highways I do and the military protects his family also. He got thousands more than he paid in thus making a profit off of the taxpayers, he made a profit off of me. With a sales tax no person would make a profit off of the goverment. Why whenever the goverment is going bankrupt smothering in debt that half the country makes a profit off of the system. Wealth distribution and social justice is plain and simple bribery to buy votes.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are so many flaws with spending taxes instead of income taxes. It absolutely favors the wealthy to the degree that it is absurd. Furthermore, older folks who saved for their retirement and paid taxes on their income their entire lives would suffer a whole new assault on their livelihoods. Whole industries that are currently free from taxation would also take a beating, once the Internet is taxed, which is part of the sales taxes being contemplated.

A national sales tax is nowhere to be found in the Constitution.

But the bigger problem with such a system is that it encourages people not to spend. This is absolutely contrary to a healthy and growing economy. Free-market advocates like martin maintain that the government should not take on the role of encouraging or discouraging any economic behavior.

Worse, to cover all of the expenses that the government is obligated to spend, such a sales tax would be ridiculously high . . . on the order of 30%, according to proponents and as much as 150% if you listen to the critics.

Never . . . gonna . . . happen.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. Especially with the point in bold. This is the main reason why I'll never vote for Ron Paul even though he is probably the most serious about balancing the budget. His tax stance that we can eliminate income tax altogether and not replace it is idiotic, but his second stated goal is supporting the fair tax which can't work because it encourages people to not spend.

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Eliminate the income tax is followed by eliminating many govt. programs that are either not needed or could be done privately.

Not spending = saving. This country only spends when it needs to save.

Both sound like great ideas to me.

Don't worry I'm not the only one:
    Peter Schiff: U.S. Should Abolish Corporate and Personal Income Taxes - Yahoo! Finance

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Half the people and maybe even half the business' in this country pay no taxes. Remove every tax break for everyone including all industries. We will never get the deficit paid back if we don't. It pisses me off when I know that I have to pay taxes and large business and half the people I know pay no taxes and even make a profit. Something must be done. 10% for earnings less than 100k 25% from 100k to 1m 35% for over a million and business with no loopholes , no grants and no tax break deductions. If that's better than a sales tax. What I'm getting at is everyone and all business' pay with no person or group or business getting away with ever paying nothing. We all live here. If one pays we all pay if one doesn't pay nobody pays.

7. mobius481

In la la land. Tell me what you would cut to make up the $1.6 trillion deficit and the $1.8 trillion in income taxes he would eliminate. That's 3.4 trillion of a 3.8 trillion dollar budget.

8. mobius481

9. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Yes he does. He suggests a lot of options. That was one.

10. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

How about what wouldn't I cut, nothing. Everything would get a nice trim and some eliminate.