Is it time to lower the Corporate Tax Rate?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Revenues

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I never said anything about revenues. As our politicians have shown us time and time again, we don't need the money to spend it. I said, i doubt we can run the country on less than a trillion bucks. We haven't done it in the last 25 years and that's not inflation adjusted. So while I agree, we have to get much smaller, much more quickly, you can only get so small and that's not small enough to get rid of all income and payroll taxes. Now if we're just talking about corporate taxes, yes, that's doable but we have to cut spending first. We can both probably agree on that.

5. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

It's the government's responsibility to collect taxes, not GE's to hand over it's own legitimate earnings because of the government's inability to close loopholes.

Any tax reform that takes place right now, even if it's horrific, will be an improvement on the gigantic cluster**** that is our tax code. I accept the premise necessary to pass Obamacare (namely the "DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING" premise) when it comes to the tax code.

6. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

It will never matter how the government taxes individuals and businesses because the spending problem is not solved.

The national government takes in about $2 trillion in revenue per year. How about it try to only spend $2 trillion per year before we start changing how the money is collected.

7. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

You mean spend less than we make? What a novel idea! :rofl:

8. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Balanced budged amendment

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Because the statement is intellectually dishonest. What liberals call subsidies rational people call cost of business discussions. Oil companies are taxed at every phase of the process why should they not be able to deduct those costs.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Spin. They are called subsidies by the Congress that issues them. Are you trying to suggest that the oil companies don't get tax subsidies?

.R.601 - End Big Oil Tax Subsidies Act of 2011

ENDING OIL INDUSTRY TAX BREAKS

Because they don't need to be subsidized. They are very profitable and yet get away without paying taxes in the US. Other countries get theirs, of course. What about free enterprize? Subsidies don't play into it.