Is Jarmarcus Russell another Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by fanatic, Oct 8, 2006.

1. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

which players do you know? can they come on here and verify that?

2. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

He has passion, much better attitude than Brooks. it's hard to see his passion for the game because he doesn't get "fired up" like a Tebow does.

And yes this would be a leadership quality.

JR is a great QB, I said before this game he can make the difference in this game. We all saw what he did agaisnt Moo U. So we know he CAN do it. he just seems to play INCONSISTANT. Like Brooks. That doesn't mean he is JUST LIKE BROOKS. Brook's attitude stank, JR's doesn't. He seems to genuinely "care".

I don't know if he will ever mature at LSU. he is sooooo close, I mean just a whisper away. I just knew he was going to have a run of games like the Moo U game starting with Florida. If you can come out as a QB agaisnt quality opponents and do that, then yeah give the boy a hiesman. As it is, no he won't get one or be considered.

He was off on many passes agaisnt Florida and the recievers were running the same routes as last game. The screens that he had such "great" touch on the week before, the recievers had to "lay out" to even touch the ball. And to be fair he did have a couple of passes just flat out dropped. He had a decent first half, nothing to write home about but penaltys, bad calls and one fumble aside. he didn't do too badly. The crowd could have caused the miscommunication fumble. People say home field is worth 3, I think it's more like 7-10.

Make no mistake the loss wasn't his fault. It was a team losing effort. I'd put as much blame on Miles as anyone. Even if it wasn't all his fault, he is the coach and should accept the responsibility. It's called humility. Everyone saw how Tubby reacted to the press after the game. That was called humility. Whether you like Tubbs or not he was a class act in that interview. And Miles may have done that I don't know I didn't see a post game interview.

Take all the blame as coach then go back and chew butt privately, so the kids don't look bad in public. After all they are just kids.

JR could go on to become a great QB. What I think he lacks the most is Instruction. I think Jimbo is a good OC MOST of the time. ( not always but most of the time )

I think Miles is a pretty decent head coach. He isn't a Saban though. He doesn't bring that hard discipline players sometimes need. Maybe his method will work, we'll see. Recruiting is a big part of it anyway. What JR needs is someone like Cuttcliff. A dedicated proven QB coach, to help him hone his playing. I think our coaches are "reactive" instead of "pro active" they teach you what you should HAVE done, not what you shoud do before hand. Some players require more mental coaching than others.

He'll get that in the Pro's.
    It's possible that a QB like Mauck has all the 3rd and long, defense reads and time management part of the game down pat, but can't throw the ball 100 yards like JR can.

It is up to the coaches to recognize this and help the players. too much emphasis is placed on wins ( I get caught up in it too ) and too little emphasis is placed on teaching them. It's also up to them to recognize when it's time to play someone new, to try to salvage the game. of course this is subjective, the back up QB may have had a worse time of it. it's certainly possible. But one thing is for sure, Miles is confidant in his opinion because he didn't even consider it. So he must be right.....

Let's don't forget that Florida has a pretty decent team also. Even the best QB's have bad days. On those days we as fans can only hope the rest of the team can tote the load for him. We're used to a Joe Addai running game to help him out back there.

That being said, it's a cop out to "dominate" the sorry teams and "cave in" when a decent opponent comes along. At some point in time, to gain respect, you have to beat someone as good or better than you are. While it may not be JR's fault we lost to Florida, he certainly played as big a part in the lose as anybody. He played just as big a role in this lose as he did in the win the previous week. Again he had some help. if we had a Kenny Irons type back or ... if if if.....

So yeah your points 1-3 are valid, at times. I seriously doubt 4 is valid though.

I think the one thing JR has that Brooks never had is ATTITUDE. I think his attitude is much better. I don't know for sure but he has me fooled if it isn't. That's what makes him better than brooks and attitude can over come a multitude of problems.

good day.

3. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

The PLAYERS made JMarc team captain. So no. You're wrong. Now go away.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I didn't mean to suggest I blamed JR for the loss yesterday. That was clearly on the shoulders of special teams and coaching. But you can't argue of his inconsistency in the big games. That's not to suggest any of our other QBs would've faired any better.

In retrospect, you're 100% right about JR having a better attitude than Brooks and I regret suggesting otherwise.

5. VandyOutcast

VandyOutcast Freshman

So what? Even lousy teams such as Vandy, Miss. State and Kentucky have captains.

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

When you've been here a little longer and people actually know who you are, then maybe what you say might matter. But I doubt it.

7. Tiger Paul

Tiger Paul Freshman

“So what? Even lousy teams such as Vandy, Miss. State and Kentucky have captains.”

This is an excellent example of rationality responding to irrationality:
    "The PLAYERS made JMarc team captain. So no. You're wrong. Now go away"

The reason the argument is irrational is it based on a false premise: “All football players voted as captain are better QB’s than Aaron Brooks.” These discussions are useful in encouraging people to develop skill at rational criticism, which can be used to influence the coaches and the administration.

An additional fact to take into account is the Saints let the awkward Jake Delhomme go in favor of the better physical specimen, Aaron Brooks, yet Delhomme led the Panthers to the Superbowl by making plays (and, just last weekend, found a way to beat the much-improved Saints).

8. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I don't think JR is another Aaron Brooks. The kid had a bad day saturday and still had ~225 yards and a TD.. 1 of those interceptions, maybe 2 (I'll have to watch again if I can stomach it) wasn't his fault. It was because of the receiver getting pasted when making the catch and the ball getting knocked loose. Unforunately the QB gets the bad stat for that occurance. The fumble at the goal line sucked but stuff happens sometimes.

Bottom line is, this game was not just Jamarcus Russell's (as some would have you believe) fault. It was the whole team's fault. Players, coaches, assistants, you name it. We felt that loss just as heavily as the next guy, as they should.. they're a team.

On another note, I didn't see Jamarcus Walking off the field smiling and laughing when a turnover happened or at the end for the final whistle. There's a big difference right there.

9. LSU0596

LSU0596 Respect

Look, I believe the problem most have with JR is the fact that he is inconsistent. Go back and watch the games he has lost and won against quality defenses. By quality I mean fast, not Miss st, Tulane, AZ.
    In each of the losses his biggest "inconsistency" is where he puts the ball, second is which receiver he chooses.
    Where he puts the ball? Look at the time he overthrows, underthrows, throws behind or in front of his receiver. Man some of the plays these guys make catching the ball are spectacular almost to the point of acrobatic. He really has a hard time hitting guys in stride where they can continue moving the ball after catching it.
    The second is which receiver he chooses. He misses wide open receivers and instead throws into double coverage to many times.
    How do we fix all this? Is it fixable? I don't know; thats why I plan peoples financial future and don't coach football. But I do know enough about the game and played the game long enough that I see these problems and these problems attributable to the QB are really hurting us. Of course, the special teams are struggling also, but that is a whole other story.

10. lsufan112001

lsufan112001 Founding Member

you can't ever compare any QB to that loser. Jamarcus does seem to have some class. He may fail, but he does try. Brooks was a smile happy bum.