Is Jarmarcus Russell another Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by fanatic, Oct 8, 2006.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Mauck doesn't have all that in the world either, just check his stats against UGA (in TS), Ole Miss, and OU in the title game.

He played poorly enough to lose all of the above, its just that defense happens to win championships.

2. LSU CamelToe

LSU CamelToe Founding Member

No.. Next question.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Just to comment on the fumble at the goal line, JR was not at fault. I understand that it was his job to get the ball from the Center.

For every team I have played on, the coach has always said it is the centers responsibility to make sure the ball is in the QBs hands before you take off and block. I am not saying he had a great day but the Dbs for Florida just made some good hits on the recievers when the ball was in their hands or the recievers missed time the jumps and tipped the ball up in the air.

4. downtown

downtown Founding Member

It's hard to compare JR + Mauck.

Mauck threw CLUTCH TDs against Ole Miss (where he was hospitalized that morning because of the flu) and Georgia to win both of those games. The Georgia one was one was flat-out awesome considering the difficulty of the throw and the blast he took after throwing it. And remember, Skyler had dropped at least three passes in that game before catching the TD.

You have to factor in all the running Mauck did as well. He had lots of positive yardage against OU in the Sugar and against Ole Miss. He didn't have to do it all by passing. That's the advantage you get with a running/passing QB. But yeah, Mauck made mistakes and threw interceptions too.

But to be fair, you can't compare Matt's team with the one now. That team was complete. This one isn't as much. However, I feel those defenses when we faced them in 2003 were much better than anything we've faced so far.

And if defense wins championships, how come we're 1-2 in the SEC with the #1 D in the land? Well, I agree that defense is the most important thing in winning championships and keeping a good program. But you generally have to have a decent offense with it. We do not at the moment against quality opponents.

And no, JR is not Aaron Brooks. There is only one Aaron Brooks and he just doesn't care. Russell had some AB tendencies with taking sacks he shouldn't take, throwing rainbows, etc., but at least he's trying to win the game. Also, he shows up against a decent number of teams. AB just sucked after he got paid.

By the way, let me just say one more time that only one of the intereceptions wan't really JR's fault. He should have had a couple more anyway. I don't know why a few people keep trying to blame the receivers for all of them. Bowe was directly responsible for one of them.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

1. World of talent, but doesn't always make the best football decision

no football player has except joe montana. dumb comment.

2. Is not necessarily poised when things aren't going well.

no football player is except joe montana. dumb comment.

3. Key turnovers at critical points in the game

all qbs do except joe montana. Miles said 2 ints werent his fault and the fumble was on the center who never got it in JR's hands. dumb comment.

4. Not a natural leader

terribly subjective and possibly another dumb comment. voted offensive MVP by his team last year and Team CPT this year.

5. No passion for the game

Montana was always carefree and relaxed.

other than that, good post.

6. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

LOL one way or the other Tirk's gonna go down with the JR ship or hang from the crows nest shouting when he finally cashs in.

Got to love a dude with purple JR glasses on so much he can't even be objective. funny stuff. :hihi:

It'll be allright. He'll do.

:geauxtige

7. tirk

incorrect. Id prefer to see RP if i was the OC since i like mobile qbs which is why I followed urban myth and alex smith @ utah where you can be more creative with playcalling. but its obvious since nick and les both started JR he gives us the best chance to win. If my ass was on the line Im sure id start him as well. I dont think they are playing him cuz they think hes cute. Using RP or MF to mix things up occassionally would be sweet. instead of doucet, bring in one of the others if you're gonna run out of the shotgun like tebow.

but he makes the big bucks so i reckon hes smarter. mm hmm.

objective? ask any coach in the country who they would start. there's so many countless anti-russell diatribes here its funny and I simply point out to those who say he isnt smart, isnt a leader, cant win big games are foolish. He's not perfect nor is any qb (minus montana). Everything I pointed out above was rather objective with a hint of sarcasm.

8. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I'm not disagreeing with you but looking at the replay it appears that Russell was not set when the ball was snapped. The rest of the line moved off the ball in unison but Russell seemed to be too erect to receive the snap. I haven't compared that play to others. Maybe he is always in that stance when he receives the snap.

9. tirk

les blamed the center today. I think you blame both. inexcusable at the 1.

10. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Diatribes? LOL 10 dollar word for a 10 cent theory? You keep bringing up Montana. I guess he was as close to perfect as you can find? JR is not anywhere near comparable to Montana. he hasn't even had the chance to prove what he can do or play in the Pro's yet. So it's not a good comparison

SO was Jesus perfect? At some point we have to consider, what is acceptable and what is not. You are 200% right, no one is perfect. But we can expect a level of competency one would assume. Maybe your level is lower than some other of these fans here? I am sure even if no one is perfect, there is some level of expectation for even the pine riders. if nothing else they can mix up the gatorade correctly.

maybe your whole problem is beleiving that Les must be right, because he makes more money than you/we do. He isn't perfect either. Money does not inherently make one smart. I like you have to assume he is making the right choice, we can only hope...nothing we can do about it any way.

And to be fair, he may be playing the best he has. I don't know. We could get 10-12 other top tier coaches to do a study on it, I guess. It's all subjective.

I do know that these people you say are foolish aren't, and that the opposite is closer to the truth. or at the very least somewhere in the middle.

No JR isn't perfect, he has some problems. So do half a dozen other players. I would lay most of JR's lack of development squarely on the coach's shoulders not his.

Some here would blow sunshine up JR's butt if they could, some here think he is the anti-christ. Somewhere in the middle is reality.

It doesn't take a John madden to see that the boy isn't as far along as most would expect. there's been 400 articles in 400 newspapers stating just that. Regardless of what people think of the media all these folks aren't wrong while five or six Ostriches on TF are right.

I think those folks that call for a player to be benched are just venting.

FWIW I think the guy will be great if he ever gets his head right.

things to consider.

and by all means have a great day.