Is Les acting odd to you ?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Nov 29, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Penn State would have to be willing to fork out tons of money that won't be returned. Joe Pa has a modest salary and has donated millions to the University. I can see Saban guarding his dough like Scrooge McDuck if he were in Happy Valley.

I think you are right though, he would bolt for there really quick if offered. Saban is a mercenary.

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Your not upset just because that Arky flag is flying over the TT estate for the next 12 months? Here's the kicker for me and it's hardly new light. When coach Saban leaves and given age and circumstances, it will happen some day, Alabama will be Alabama. The beat will go on. Discounting PROBATION, it's all that ever would have happened. Now, you can call that arrogant, or wishful thinking, but finding a national championship coach is something the organization has done since the roaring twenties.

LSU's expectations about the future with Miles has always struck me as funny and sort of weird. Plenty of good coaches can be had with Miles budget. Plenty would come.

Penn St. is not Alabama. It's not a lateral move. When is the last time you have seen Saban make one of those.

3. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

This is right on, Saban took Alabama because it was the biggest job availible at the time. He said so himself. He said he would have like to come back to LSU but the job was not availible (good for LSU) and the Bama one was. I am sure Saban HATES it in Bama, not his type of people. As soon as Jo Pa even hints he's done, Saban's agent will be calling Penn St.

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

And LSU is a plum job. Here's the problem for the rest of the SEC, why would we want to get rid of him. When one looks at the overall landscape of college football, the SEC specifically, we have one of the best coaches available. He may be odd and weird, but he wins, has a clean program, the players love him, eventually hires great asst's, is a great ambassador to the school and state, love it here, recruit's better than almost everyone else, and is a Damn Fine Person.

All of that equals LSU and Miles will continue to be one of the top programs in the SEC and in the Country. Like it or not my Bama friend, we ain't and he ain't goin nowhere, and your 2 yr run of dominance is over with. You will get to the top of the mountain again, but not without going thru us when we are having a down yr.

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

"Penn St. is not Alabama. It's not a lateral move"
    Sorry I disagree, Penn State is as storied a program as Alabama and is viewed Nationwide as so.

Bama is one of the upper teams of college football, but so is Penn State. It may not be a step up but to say Penn State are not on par with fan base, investment in athletics, facilities, etc is downright silly. Heck have you seen their stadium, and the fact is sells out EVERY game like Bama does. I believe its bigger than both LSU and Alabama.

So yes Bama IS a great program and many coaches will jump at the chance to coach there. But Penn State is a lateral move. They play in a very strong conference. Sorry SEC guys, the Big 10 (err 12, 10, whatever) will be arguably the 2nd best conference in football behind the SEC when Nebraska comes knocking, and if 2nd a very close second. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan, etc etc.

Anyway, as for Bama coaches. UNtil Saban took the money, you had a series of failed coaches, including one who never even made it to the sideline.
    So sure you could get a coach but just like OU, Nebraska, Miami, etc etc. It may be awhile before you find one that sticks... Fran, Shula, the stripper club guy.
    All great hires........

Yes I am disgusted the Arkansas flag is flying in front of my house right now, and its only for the week, good thing we didnt win. My Alabama fan friend still has mine from when it was hanging on his house a few weeks back..... I need to go get that back. Or he can just keep it for next year.... Since it will be back there in about 11 months ;-)

6. TUSKtimes

Dubose was an idiot, but still miraculously won an SEC championship in 1999, beating Florida twice, once, on their field. Did I mention he was an idiot and the reason LSU became so successful along with the barn. Fran, Price, Shula agreed to coach with heavy probation. Fran changed his mind as you may well remember and his greatest claim to fame would be the 2002 BR beat down and that's about it. Shula had no greatest moment but did recruit decently given the restrictions and they were many.

Penn St.was never considered an elite program on par with Alabama, ND, Oky, USC. Through the 60's they couldn't get any respect, once winning over 30 games straight and still couldn't get in the NC hunt. In the 70's they finally and I mean finally went to a tougher independent schedule and in the 70's and early 80's they earned some respect, nationally, along with 2 NC. Not historically a mover and a shaker. Are you sure you've been to Tuscaloosa?

Good you have only a week sentence on the flag, but given the last 4 years, your probably confusing the neighbors.:yelwink2:

7. souljaslim1

souljaslim1 Bigg Daddy

there are a lot of very good coaches out there...some we are familiar with..some we're not.. its not always the BIG NAME that produces winning programs....saban was well known, but he wasnt exactly winning national titles at MSU...les miles was pretty much in the same boat prior to coming here...

8. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

"Good you have only a week sentence on the flag, but given the last 4 years, your probably confusing the neighbors"

Yes its very confusing for the entire neighborhood. We have several SEC people on our street from UGA, to Bama to Akry, to LSU. And flags seem to be switching houses frequently in this league. Last year the LSU flag was flying on his house, then Bama on his, then LSU on the Bama guys, now Arky on mine. Just funny stuff.
    Thank all that is sacred that we have no war eagle/plainsmen/tigers around.

I still disagree Penn State is not an elite program on par with those schools you mentioned. BUt its all just opinion. They may not be now, but they could easily be a recruiting and championship machine with the right person at the helm. They could EASILY dethrone Ohio State.... Quicker than Michigan can.

And yes I have been to Tuscaloosa several times, great place I always have a great time there. Its no different than most schools in the SEC, including mine. Bama is a great stadium, but they are no more "sold out" than we are or lets say Michigan. Bama hasn't cornered the market on pageantry and packed houses. I know its easy for Bama to think "Man everyone wants to be like us"
    I hate to say it. Nope not really. We have a pretty good gig ourselves.

Oh I have been to Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State and ND as well for games.
    All of them are great.
    I could argue Ohio State has a better game day experience than both of us.
    Its a wonderful place on Saturdays if you just like the pageantry of College Football. Penn State to....

Florida is a miserable place though, that is one place I will never go back

9. TUSKtimes

I like Nebuchadnezzar, eh, Les and the gang. Eventually, gets the team moving in the right direction. I agree, a perfect fit for your football program. Though it was touch and go there, for a little while, in Tiger Nation the past few years. Now if Harbaugh just says yes. Not that he shouldn't.

10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Not for the majority, just a loud vocal group that wanted their 15 mins of fame.