Is les miles really a good coach?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by christiantiger, Nov 17, 2009.

1. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

would you say that Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc have great talent on their teams too?

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

That's what I said....read my quote in your post! :grin:

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

You beat me to the correction...that's why I deleted :wave:

1 person likes this.
  4. Berge

Berge Founding Member

I was no Malleveto supporter (and am fairly happy with Chavis- 400+ yards to Bama kind of soured me), but I have to address this technicality:

Never was last in the SEC in any category.

After the Arkansas game (worst point):
    11th in the SEC in scoring D (close enough, I know).
    5th in rushing D
    9th in total and passing eff. D.

I just wanted to point out that our rushing D was better last year (about 15 ypg). :grin:

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Well then apparently he's not supposed to win against Alabama and Florida.

Your problem is you are spoiled and selfish.

6. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

I think he's a great coach. Perfect fit, IMO.

He wins ball games. Lots of them. His OOC record is phenomenal. He's 4-0 in bowl games.

He recruits well.

He takes good care of the kids/young men on the team.

He runs a clean program and he's not afraid to dismiss even the most talented of players for when things have gone too far.

He seems like a really good man and a really good fit to represent LSU.

Lastly, I get the impression that he loves LSU.

What more could you ask for?

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

1 person likes this.
  7. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

In the overall scheme of things, yes.

He may not be the best X and O coach of all the college coaching ranks, but he has represent LSU very well, with consistent strong recruiting and ran a clean program. What impressed me was the way he carried the team during the difficult times of Katrina; the co-D fiasco was quickly rectified with hiring of Chavis. I don't see Gary Crowton as a bad hire; we seem to have forgotten how well the team played in the NC game, and in the Chick-a-filet bowl against GT. This year we had a bunch of ugly or unsatisfying wins with the underachieving talented team, which may be the driving force of disatisfaction with Miles. I don't think that is all his fault, as the outcome of the season is also very much dependant on the individual athletes in being able grow and perform. Seems like a lot of fans are spoiled by the recent great years; even teams in good programs will have their ups and downs.

BTW, I think it is a classless thing for the fans to boo the team and the coaches. You can tell Miles hates that. Hope the fans DO NOT treat the team like Gladiators in a Coliseum. That doesn't bode well for team morale, and the outside perception of the LSU fanbase. I think LSU had been very lucky with the hiring of Saban and Miles; so let's not push the luck!

P.S. oops, sorry, P&G_wheelz007. Didn't see your post. I duplicated a lot of the same points!

1 person likes this.
  8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

OK, I'm not going to join those who think Miles is on some sort of hot seat, because ultimately, wins are the most important thing, and :milesmic:'s win/loss record is impeccable. A couple of people have listed the positives of the Miles Era to this point, so I won't repeat them. But I do have a question that concerns me. Everyone step back for a second, take an objective look and ask yourself: how many times has LSU played up to its potential ability this season? I say Auburn and Tulane, and that's it.

Granted, the talent level at other schools suggest we could have played our very best every week, and still be 8-2 right now. But I'm of the opinion that if something is not done to correct the lackluster performances we keep seeing, it will catch up and bite the program in the butt.

9. charlie_c0756

charlie_c0756 Founding Member

hmm.......

View attachment 12602

10. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Don't tally wins yet, friend. Bad mojo.