Is les miles really a good coach?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by christiantiger, Nov 17, 2009.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

He has never coached up to his potential here at LSU...

...so he needs to STAY!!! :wink:

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

OK. That's fair.
    My standards are low. I just want the W, but I'd say the OL had not reached it's expected potential.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Exactly, we definitely want to win, but we are aware of the problems.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I would argue that we played up to our potential against Alabama and to a large extent, UGA.

At UGA, we should have scored many more points in the first half, but our offense has struggled with youth under center this year. However, our defense was outstanding.

In the Bama game, we played toe to toe with them. A few calls didn't go our way which could or could not have been the difference. What more could we ask than to play a hard-fought game against an evenly-matched opponent?

Also remember when thinking of our "disappointing" season that WE have Florida every year and had UGA this year (though they are "down"), but our other SEC West foes had easier roads through the East.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

winning is wonderful, and ultimately the most important thing. But improving is also a huge part of coaching.

6. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

I couldn't agree more with this point. I know it's the nature of some fans to get down when our team doesn't perform to their expectations but it doesn't make sense to me to boo your team when they are struggling. That is the time when they need the support of their fan base the most. When someone is in trouble, you don't kick them you reach out a hand and pick them up. Pump these kids up for crying out loud, give them energy and confidence knowing that 92,000 fans are behind them!

Booing is both classless and lacks any kind of creativity. Anyone can launch a chorus of negativity. Try something new. We can better represent our team and university. Tiger Stadium is a unique and magical place. There are no other places like it in College Football. I'd like to keep it that way.

I would also love to hear 92,000 fans screaming "Tiger Bait" when the opposition enters Death Valley instead of unleashing the boo birds.

:geaux:

7. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Miles is not on the hot seat. LSU would have to pay him 18.75 million if they were to fire him.

8. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

Just an honest question for anyone who wonders if CLM is a good coach?

Outside of Meyer and Saban (who seem to be regarded as 'elite' coaches by those who are either unsure about CLM or outright say he's a bafoon), what do you think of the other top tier program coaches? Pete Carroll at USC, what's the deal with his record these past few years? I mean, USC is ****ing loaded with talent. And Bob "Can't Quite Figure Out How To Win Bowl Games" Stoops? Or Jim Tressel? Mack Brown? I mean, given the amount of talent on the Texas teams the past few years, shouldn't they have more than one crystal? Richt, what's up with his won-loss record given the talent on Georgia's team? :huh:

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Who says? :insane:

If it were only about talent USC and Texas would play for the championship every year. LSU plays in the most competitive conference in America, one with 6 top-10 contenders year in and year out. We can't take the trophy every year.

As it is LSU does average over 10 wins a year for the last decade. Nobody does it better.

10. aztiger

aztiger Missing Crawfish & LSU

I have ALWAYS been a big CLM fan. I think he is a great LEADER, and a very good coach. I think he must have very good OC and DC because he delegates responsibility more than some Head coaches.
    I do find it funny that I am constantly hearing from my buddies that are not Tiger fans that our weak point is coaching. I always argue but I do sometimes wonder if I am simply being blind because of my purple and gold glasses. If I step back, there may be something to it...obviously he is a good coach but it seems to be pointed out by neutral people an awful lot.
    However, as I said he is a great Leader and I am happy to have him as our head coach. No one is perfect.
    Look at Bob Stoops, they still call him Big Game Bob, and the media still praises him constantly and that SOB has not won a big game in almost a decade. (bowl game/National Champ.) Perception is everything.