Is les miles really a good coach?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by christiantiger, Nov 17, 2009.

1. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

:huh::dis:

I've seen the same sentiments posted by a few different people. On what is this based??? Who's to say he doesn't know Xs and Os? Has anyone heard this from anyone who would really know? And, as far as having great assistants, a big part of being the head coach is putting the right assistants in the right places! I challenge anyone to name a team that has won a :crystal: without great assistant coaches.

This whole thread is ludicrous. Not good (bad? less than good?) college head coaches in a conference like the SEC do not average 10 wins per year, much less win championships!

:thumb: to :milesmic:

2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Can't the exact same thing be said about Saban, Bobby Bowden, and Mac Brown? What about Frank Beamer with Bud Foster and Billy Hite on his staff? Do those guys really make Beamer less than an outstanding head coach?

How many assistants carried Saban until they could not stand working with him any more and jumped ship to another program?

I think it is unfair to hold quality assistants against any head coach. If you say or imply that a head coach's success is "really due to 'assistant X' , then that is exactly what you are doing. Great CEOs hire great managers. Does that make them a less than great CEO?

3. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Yes, most top coaches do have good assistants. They work hand in hand, but some coaches also help make their assistants. I dont have anything tangible to prove my point about Xs and Os but its obvious Miles lacks game management/clock skills. Also based on the overall execution of the team over the last two years is enough for me as proof for my opinion.

4. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

We're going to learn a ton about Miles in the next 2 weeks and and the following off-season. If he can keep this team motivated and tack on another season with double digit wins.. and fix the offense..

I'll be sending him an apology card. :lol:

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

A perfect example is Pete C, he has had some of the best asst's money can buy. Over the past 2-3 yrs his asst's have been raided from him. Now USC has the same great talent they have always have, what has changed, not Pete, it is his asst's. When you lose asst's like Chow, and Sarc. they are hard to replace. So, yes a great coach is only as good as his asst's. Miles, strongest suit is his ability to surround himself with great talent, but even great talent runs it's course. I think that GC has run his course, and it is time for Miles to find a new wrinkle in the offense.

Miles already proved he can admit a mistake and he fixed it, I am confident he will fix this as well. For now though, he needs to take control of the offense and make the most out of the talent he has to win the next 3 games.:geaux: :LSU231: :milesmic:

1 person likes this.
  6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Exactly! He has already shown me everything I need to know.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

he's beat Stoops (twice with an out manned Okie St team)
    He's beat Meyer
    He's beat Saban
    He's beat Spurrier
    He's beat Fulmer
    He's beat Coker
    He's beat Tressell

that's 8 National Championships those coaches have combined.

throw in Tubby, Richt, Beamer

That's an impressive list.
    In fact, the only coaches that own a BCS title that he HASN'T beat is Mack Brown, Carroll (whom he's never played) and Bowden (whom he's never played) and himself obviously.

2 people like this.
  8. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

ditto, i enjoy both Bach and Vivaldi, but if forced i'd choose Vivaldi.

9. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

The fact is we dont know for sure who is at fault. I can agree though that someone has basically run their course. I hope youre right that it is Crowton, because I really do like Miles. There is just something about the guy that makes you like him. But the fact is he is the HC, so he gets the blame for allowing the pathetic play thats going on. Also there is no doubt the personnel changes have been pretty bad. The team overall loses focus too often with these backbreaking penalties.

10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

pown'd :thumb: