Is LSU flying under the radar in 06?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jul 12, 2006.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I guess I should clarify my statement... by under the radar i dont mean coming out of the 30's to win the NC... I mean most "experts" say "yeah, they are good, but that schedule is going to keep them from doing much..." then I look at lists of all of the great players this year and very few of LSU's players are listed... Alot of the starters (like glen dorsey for example) are relative unknowns on the national scene.. so perhaps I should say "are LSU's players flying under the radar?", or "are LSU's top recruits being underestimated or underrated?"...

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I agree with your clarification. If we finish in the top twelve, then a couple of our players will probably perform better in the country than they have been rated. Jamarcus will have to have a great season, Landry, Bowe will have to outperform the rating he has, and you're right, some of the new linemen will have to "emerge" on the national scene by playing well in televised (i.e. BIG) games, and catch the media's attention. I can hear the announcers now "Well that young man will make Les Miles forget about Kyle Williams and Claude Wrotten, who are playing in the NFL now".

With all the talent we have at running back, I can't believe we won't have a very good running game. Broussard, Vincent, Hester, Jackson, Robinson, Scott, Williams, Murphy; we have to have a good running game, somebody is under the radar, or after the season, just call me wrong! If the running game doesn't work, it will probably be the line not doing the job.

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

If we have a problem running the ball and Russell is our qb, expect a very long season. I think we'll have a solid running game - I just have my doubts about Russell.

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

NO...that easy

5. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

:dis: Russell wins games.

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I get reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly, REALLY tired of all of this unabashed anti-Russell talk. I could understand the criticism if he regularly lost games, but that's simply not the case. The guy's a gamer. The record doesn't lie, my brother.

7. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

I have always been a big believer in JR. Sure sometimes he makes dumb reads, but that is where the offseason comes into play. JR will be more mature as a qb in his jr season and he knows what to expect going into his 2nd year as a full starter. Also we have never seen Flynn under pressure. Flynn had a running game in the Peach Bowl and the play calls were very safe. Put Flynn in the Bama game where the momentum is totally on Bama's side and who knows what happens.

8. lsu-i-like

I think a struggling running game seriously hampers the performance of a stationary quarterback. If we cant run the ball, Flynn provides mobility - a necessary dimension the best stationary qb can't provide. And the SEC has the best defenses around. I know that Russell has ungodly talent, but I can't remember a complete competitive game where I've felt that we had a better chance to win than the opponent. I felt that way with Mauck and I felt that way with Rohan. I haven't felt like that with Russell yet. He is more experienced and mature, so hopefully he will guide LSU to an amazing 2006 season. I don't enjoy ragging on Russell, but that's how I see it.

9. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I don't think it was fair for anyone to expect any more of JR than to be what he was last season, an inexperienced soph QB with a GREAT ARM! He was what he should have been, and he provided a LOT of excitement, some BIG wins in close games (was he clutch against Bama in OT, or what?...Yeah, he WAS CLUTCH!). I think he got better as the season went on, because experience always helps.

I expect more maturity, better reading of defenses, picking up secondary receivers, and better judgement. He should be a better QB because of the year of experience and coaching. I believe he will be better, and I look forward to seeing that. I hope to see Matt and Ryan get some playing time also, hopefully cause we're way ahead.

Geaux JR!

10. lsu-i-like

Good luck Jamarcus. Hope you have a great season.