Is LSU flying under the radar in 06?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jul 12, 2006.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

actually, in this situation i want a guy who can run as well as pass... quick dumps and scrambles vs. a spread out pass defense can be deadly... especially in college football where a firstdown stops the clock..

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

The whole offense got us in the position. Was Russell at fault for Broussard tearing his ACL? Was he at fault for Addai hurting his ankle? Was he at fault that Bowe needed eye surgery unbeknownst to anyone? Was he at fault that we played 12 weeks straight without a break?

But I suppose with Flynn at the helm, we would never need a come back. We would always win, and not only that, but JaMarcus would be in by the 4th quarter for mop up duty (after Perriloux of course) in Auburn's stadium because we would be ahead by so much due to the ability of Flynn to keep running backs healthy, get wide receivers surgery, and magically stop natural disasters.

JaMarcus was a sophmore QB. He made mistakes, but why is it assumed here by some that he won't grow? He will improve, and be even better than the good QB he already way.

3. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

It is great that you guys have faith Russell will improve. I'm not saying he won't. I'm not even saying I wouldn't start LaMarcus (reference to another thread meant in jest) - it is hard not to start a player with so much potential. But you guys seem to be bending over backwards to explain away Russell's faults and strip Flynn of any credit.

Wasn't the peach bowl Flynn's first start ever? Wasn't Miami a pretty well respected opponent? Wasn't this the same offense that sputtered well short of the end zone all season long? In how many instances did Flynn get positive yardage when in a similar situation Russell would have taken a sack for a massive loss... possibly even a fumble? How many throws did Flynn not make because of Russell's superior strength? Blaming an entire season of just enough offense with no chemistry between the receivers and the qb on one receiver's eyes and a natural disaster seems less believable to me than the excuses that could be made for a qb making his first start against one of the top defenses in the nation with very limited on field experience against much lesser competition.

I realize that Flynn isn't perfect and he had a great game against Miami with much support from a rested and extremely talented supporting cast, but do you guys seriously believe that explains the difference between a 3 point win and a 37 point win? I guess you guys don't consider Matt Mauck one of our greatest qbs ever, he definitely wasn't one of our most physically gifted. Give me a leader and you can have your physical specimen. With all the talent on our team, we don't need a qb to win the game for us, we just need a guy who can keep everyone together. I hope Russell has improved and become that player, but I have only seen that in spurts from him - definitely not throughout the course of an entire game.

We obviously disagree.

Yep, that's right... Booty, a physical specimen (at least much hyped), led us to a decent record with less talent. His throws often were within the proximity of his receivers, but the offense under his leadership had an amazing number of drops. This same thing happened for Randall (granted Russell wasn't a physical specimen), who many adamently defended. I loved Randall's spirit and everything he did for LSU, but he never had it. I haven't seen it for a whole game with Russell yet, and that is my opinion, how I see it - I don't feel the need to convert you to my opinion, just the desire to express it. Call it BS if it makes you feel better - that is much easier than actually defending your position.

How does Russell's wine flavored piss taste? There is no equity between your treatment of Russell and Flynn. Flynn had a great game against what many experts considered a very good defense. Russell didn't have as good a game against the national champs... Appalachian St.

I can't wait for the season to start so we can stop the speculation and talk actual football. I'm not rooting for any player, just for my team to kick some ass.

5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Yeah, that "potential" thing is a scary word. Obviously, JR has as much of it as anybody, but, man, I get nervous watching him play... unless, of course, he's on one of his rolls.

Maybe part of my "nervousness" is in these stats.
    Although JR finished 35th in passing efficiency and completed 60% of his passes, his numbers were hyped significantly by the weak part of the schedule: MSU, Vandy, NT, App.St., Ole Miss. In the big games, he was 100 of 190 for 52%.
    He only had one "big" game (Florida) where he completed over 60%. He was 50% or worse against Tennessee, Auburn and Arkansas.

So, one might argue that the SEC has all these tough defenses (which is true) and, therefore, SEC qb's numbers are gonna be worse in conference games. Then someone needs to explain to me why Brandon Cox was able to go 66% against Bama and 65% against both South Carolina and Arkansas, how Croyle managed 82% against Florida and 64% against Tennessee... or explain some of Leak's numbers.
    All I'm saying is putting up only one 60% game against your seven toughest opponents is worrysome.

An interesting NCAA stat from last year is there were 28 quarterbacks who completed 62% of their passes or better. There were 45 quarterbacks out of the top 100 who completed 60% or better.

The good news for JR is that he was young... and his numbers should improve. On the other hand, the coaches might be saying, "Let's see here. We got a QB who only gives us about 50% completions in our big games, gives us zip for rushing yards and cannot breakdown a defense with his feet.
    The odds of us going 5-1 again this coming year in games decided by 4 points or less is a worry. Maybe there's someone around here who can put up better numbers?"
    Or they might say, "Forget the stats. JR wins games".

"Deep Thoughts" on a very slow Sunday.

6. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

That has been my point all along. JR was a SOPH last year!! He played like it. I don't know his high school, but I heard they did not hire great coaches and the offense was simple, and he has had a lot to learn at LSU. That would reasonably cause him to come around slowly. Look at Jason Campbell at AU, he had talent at AU, but was never particularly efficient until his senior year, when he put it all together and took them to an undefeated year.

JR should be better this year. That is what I see happen in college football, and the pro's also. Rookie QBs generally don't do that well (Rothlisberger aside). If he does not make any progress, and Flynn has made progress and warrants the starter role, I have no problem with that. If Ryan can beat out Matt, I'm OK with that also. We need to put the best QB out there, who can move the team and lead us to wins. It is the coaches job to do that, and I am sure to the best of their ability they will make the best decision they can.

In any case, :geauxtige !!! I'm ready for the season!

PS: Just remembering JR almost leading LSU to victory in the Cap One bowl against Iowa, that 4th quarter was a thing of beauty. Flynn's 3rd quarter was a sleeper.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

good posts but jr had a hurt wrist during the UF game so its hard to say what effect that had. Another year of experience and hopefully fully healed should give a true example what type of qb he is.

ill take another 14 of 16 wins regardless who is back there.

8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Wins are nice.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Only because of the ridiculousness of some fans at times. If we could say "Flynn performed great in the Peach Bowl, but the coaches think JaMarcus is better & I support that. Atleast we have a great backup option if JaMarcus gets hurt." Great! But it's not that, it's bashing Russell for being unable to read a defense (despite Jimbo constantly saying he can & the playbook being scaled back for Flynn), and how JR is stupid (despite being an honors student).

I think this is what it comes down to. Flynn supporters believe our offensive woes were due to JaMarcus, I believe otherwise. The question is, when he has a great year this season - will it be because last year was the result of the things I believe it was, or because JaMarcus made HUGE leaps to becoming a better QB?

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

And this is different from every other college QB... how?