Is Meyer Having Second Thoughts?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by COTiger, Dec 27, 2009.

1. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I think UM should have thought it out if he was unsure. If his health is at risk or even his family life walk away. Millions of $$$ and NC's is a lot to be proud of. Waffling is only gonna make him look bad and hurt UF in the process. :nope:

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Meyer expects to be leading Gators in '10

he expects to be on the sideline leading the Gators when next season opens. "I do in my gut believe that will happen," Meyer said at a Sugar Bowl news conference.

Meyer expects to be leading Gators in '10 | ajc.com

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

None of this makes any sense.
    Seems to me that if it truely was about a health issue it would be a lot easier decision to make.
    Maybe it is about Tebow leaving and Meyer doesn't want to be responsible for a down year next year.
    Makes me go with my gut feeling that its about other reasons than health!
    Publicity stunt for some reason? Why else?

4. Berge

Berge Founding Member

So if we lost our DC, head coach, WR coach, and all-time great QB (not to mention half the defense), you would be confident in Crowton taking the reins as head coach? Florida fans were just as unhappy with Adazzio and the offensive performance as we were with Crowton.

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I wouldn't be surprised if it has nothing to do with physical health. From what I read, he had some pains in his chest and he gets headaches, but nothing too serious, nothing anybody would retire over. In the news articles I read, they asked him if his doctors recommended that he resign, and he dodged the question.

I think it has mainly to do with having a healthy family life. Being the family of a college football coach probably sucks. I just read this article on Les Miles the other day (here), talking about how his family has to spend Christmas in hotel rooms and stuff.

Also, I read a pretty good article on Urban not too long ago, and it talked a lot about how his family influences his big career decisions (like where to coach at... his family was a big reason why he didn't take his dream job at Notre Dame, because ND coaches have to be on the road so much recruiting nationally, while in Florida all they have to do is recruit FL). And after the National Championship or SEC Championship he won, I saw him out on the field right after the game with his two daughters, and it looked like Urban loves his daughters a whole lot.

A lot of people want to make a bunch of money and retire as soon as possible. Urban has made millions. I don't blame his family for asking him to retire so they can enjoy a healthier family life.

6. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

I've gone on record as not being very pro Crowton, so no way. But if CLM needed a year off to take care of important health issues then wanted to resume as head coach of LSU, most here wouldn't have a problem with it or criticize him. They'd support him, wish him well, and not many of us would question his decision to do it or LSU's decision to allow it. I'm saying that nobody is giving CUM the same respect and he's won much more at Florida than CLM has here in the same period. Why wouldn't they do everything they can to keep him?

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

There's obviously more to the story than what is being told publicly.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that CUM takes the entire 2010 season off. Is that going to cure him of everything that ails him? Based on what I've read I wouldn't think so. Is he going to change his coaching style and coaching personality in a year off? I don't think so. So if those two assumptions pan out nothinig will have changed.

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Yeah, but the "if's" in that argument are what could make it a raw deal for Florida.

What if he's not ready to coach in 2011? What if he does come back, but his health problems resurface (as they almost certainly will) and are too much to overcome? What do you tell recruits for this year and next years classes?

Florida would be effectively sitting on their hands and would be mired in uncertainty for the foreseeable future, which will undoubtedly damage the program. If they're willing to take the risk, then so be it. But I don't know if I would go for it.

9. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Exactly. He seems to be changing his mind very impulsively; based on what his heart is telling him (no pun intended), not his head. He's letting his emotions make this "decision" for him, and I don't think it's fair to Florida, personally.

10. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

This is exactly why Foley is going to start feeling pressure from boosters, etc, to solidify a more definitive, permanent solution. What has been proposed so far is really silly for a top program to even contemplate. CUM, after contemplation for weeks, decides to resign, but then in a moment of uncertainty, decides, no, I will come back in a year. A lot can change in a year, and the program is way bigger than him, so they need to make some command decisions here and go one way or another. Either CUM continues coaching UF or he doesn't, cut bait and move on.