Is Michigan still Les Miles' "Dream Job"?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Nov 27, 2010.

1. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

My guy which I get burned for bringing up because I will not tell you who he is has said just the same thing as LT above. He says something smells and Les is not Les.

The only thing he is going on is how Les is doing what he should but not doing it the Les way.

No FACTS at all but just feelings!

2. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Or, perhaps your friend isn't in the tight circles he spoke of.. :p (just messin with ya)

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything either by anyone I know close to the team. Not that I talk to them often at this time of year, but nobody's gone out of their way to fill me in on anything juicy.

As far as Miles goes, I don't see him leaving LSU on his own. He's still got a few tricks up his sleeve to drive us, the media, and opposing coaches crazy. I agree with the above post, that Harbaugh should be the replacement should RR get the boot.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What if the 9'ers offer Harbaugh a job after they fire Singletary? Surely they would be close to the first pick after this dismal season, he could pick Andrew Luck. Plus he isn't that far from his home in Palo Alto.

4. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

No way you wouldn't hear anything at all if a decision had been made at UM. 1st thing that has to happen is a school has to ask for permission to speak to a coach. That hasn't happened. No way that is kept a secret...from the AD dept to the agent, someone would have loose lips in their circle. Look at the circus that is the Miami coaching search.

5. Texas_Tiger

Texas_Tiger Tiger Stuck in Aggie Land

But, do they need permission to speak to an agent?

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

No...and an agent or his staff couldn't keep a secret. That is why you hear rumors here and there.

7. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I don't see Rich Rod getting the boot for the following reasons.

1. The program needs stability. Firing RR throws the program into further disarray and sends the signal to other coaches that the athletic department is fickle and may not give you the time to instill your system and reap the rewards.

2. Michigan paid $2.5 million to West Virginia to pay off Rich Rodriguez's contract when he took the job in addition to the salary they have had to pay him. This was after a nasty public feud with West Virginia.

3. Despite Michigan's overall record under Rich Rod, the Wolverines have steadily improved each year under Rodriguez. In addition, they have been recruiting fairly well under Rodriguez, having a top 10 and a top 15 recruiting class the last 2 years (Rodriguez was hired less than a month before the 2008 NSD, so I don't really consider that one of his recruiting classes).

Rodriguez's biggest black mark was the announcement by the NCAA that Rodriguez and his staff habitually violated NCAA rules by participating in unofficial scrimmages and practicing players for more hours than the NCAA allows.

Having stated all of the above, this post is probably the death nail for Rodriguez at Michigan.

8. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

I guess my question is if UM was going to keep RichRod, why not come out and say it, and not leave recruits hanging? Seems more detrimental to the program now than if they were to wait and fire him after the bowl.

9. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Why do they have to "come out and say it" that they are keeping a coach? LSU doesn't come out and say it everytime there are some negative posters, or fire les miles websites, etc. You are assuming that they have a motive to get rid of him and that if they are not planning this then they should say it publicly to appease people like you who are expecting something that may not really be in motion. Doesn't really make sense from an ADs perspective, does it? You may be right, they may be planning on canning his butt, but if they are not really even at that point mentally, they are content with his subtle, gradual improvement, and all of the comments/articles from fans/media are just rumor milling, then why would they come out and clarify something that is not even on their internal radar?

10. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Whoa, hero - maybe you're taking that the wrong way. It's not posters that have fueled speculation about RichRod. When the Michigan AD says they won't make a decision concerning the coaching staff until after the bowl game, coupled with RichRod's tearful banquet speech, it kind of makes one wonder if a change is definitely going to happen. If their (Michigan's) intention is to keep him for another season, why doesn't the AD come out and say it, and end all the speculation?