Is Pokey really a great coach?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUweezie, Apr 3, 2005.

1. LSUweezie

LSUweezie Founding Member

I've seen alot of people saying Pokey is a great coach. I'm not saying she is or isn't. I know tonight she deffinetly got outcoached. For me its hard to judge how good of a coach she is because the team is loaded with talent. There isn't much coaching to do when you have Temeka out there running the show. I do think she is a good coach but I think she has some holes in her coaching.
    A couple of things i think she needs to improve on.
    1. When a bad call is made or a players messes up she just laughs and smiles.
    2. She hardly ever sits one of her studs down when they're having a bad stretch.
    3. While other teams are making runs I think she wait to long to call a timeout and make adjustments.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I believe Dean Smith didn't win the NCAA Championship until his 7th or 8th trip to the Final Four. He sucked as a coach obviously.

3. clair

clair Rockets

As a UNC fan, I can say he was the worst! HAHAHA

Naw, get real! Pokey will be fine! Not many make it to the Final 4 in their 1st hoorah!

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yes, the talent level probably carried the team to some extent.
    Right now, she's probably a very good coach with some great players. In a few years, she'll be a great coach.
    It's tough to be a first year coach and truly be great.

5. Carface

Carface What the...?

I've seen Temeka benched for getting overzealous sometimes... but the truth is that you turn to your playmakers whenever you're desperate sometimes..

Pokey's been head coach (acting, or officially named) for two seasons now. Look what she's done.

6. ExoticGlass1

ExoticGlass1 Founding Member

i don't think this lost is on her. temeka had some turnovers and tried a few 3 pointers she shouldn't have towards the end. jones just didn't seem to be in the game and she is the best defensive player. it did seem that pokey tried to put the ball in agustas's hands but she didn't seem to have the touch tonight. as someone posted in another thread baylor just wanted it more and played a better game. as fans all we can do is look to next season and be happy for the lady tigers for what they've accomplished.

7. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Pokey is a good coach. But, less we forget, its the players on the court that win, not the coach. Anyway, to say she doesnt do anything on sideline is crazy. Did you see her on the sideline? She was running up and down the whole game.

8. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Not in Pokey's hands at all... She cannot help that the girls missed SEVERAL fast break lay-ups.... Those are a definate game-changer.... Many shots just didn't fall... And Baylor played the best second half possible....

9. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

not to mention her stud player really had a bad game. Augustus had 22, but, if its possible, she had a very quiet 22.

10. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

I know some of you may have just started tuning into the Lady Tigers, but as member of the pep band and a fan for the past 4 years, Pokey is a lot like Sue, what you see on tv is not what is going on, she is constantly in the ear of the officials, she is just not animated like we are used to seeing from her counterpart. And if you don't like what she has done, at least she can say she has done something with the talent on the court.