Is Pokey really a great coach?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUweezie, Apr 3, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

First to ask a bunch of misfits like us if Pokey is a great coach is absurd. Second, to ask a question like that when she has had 2 chances to make the final four and has succeeded both times is even more absurd. The players were nervous the entire game, the pressure they put on themselves must have been immense. Pokey didn't miss 11 uncontested layups, the girls did. It had to be nerves. And thank Goodness Temeka was in the game, her and Big Sylvia were really the only ones I thought that played at the same level they nornally do. Augustus was off the entire game, she missed several easy shots herself. The plan was fine, the execution was not.

2. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

Don't forget that Baylor has a good fricken team and is probably the hottest (not physically) team in women's basketball. Plus Mulkey-Robertson is not too shabby. I saw a stat that said the year before she started coaching, Baylor was 7-20, since then they are like 121-38.

3. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Don't blame Pokey for the loss to the bible aggys. The BenGals will be back.
    Besides, Pokey's cute. :hihi:

4. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Maybe she is releated to Aaron Brooks.

Look I know the Mulkey family and when it comes to sports they know there stuff. I use to coach her little brother in soccer along side her dad and they know sports.
    Just because a coach hets out coached in a game doesnt mean that the first coach is a bad coach, everyone has a bad game.

I feel she has done a great job so far with the program and it will only contuine to grow nd become a national powerhouse every year.

5. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

We must always remember to bring our "A" game to the Final Four.

6. Carface

Carface What the...?

[​IMG]
    Oh man, did you see that? I totally just somehow managed to throw the ball backwards and cost us the game. Oops! Haha! My bad!

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Pokey is a good coach. We'll have to watch her for 10 or 15 years to know if she is a great coach. She certainly has the potential.

8. LSUweezie

LSUweezie Founding Member

I agree with most of yall. I didn't start this thread to dog Pokey I do think shes a good caoch. I was probally caught up in the loss a little to much. But trust me I know it was a great season. Any time you make it to the final four its a good season. I feel and maybe some of yall do to that this team had played to well all year and had to much talent to make the mistakes they made.

9. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

The last 2 years have been great. I feel that the failure to advance past the final 4 was a result of not getting it done on the court as opposed to not getting it done on the sidelines. PC is animated, as far as I can tell without being a Bob Night.

The difference between her smile and AB's is she smiles in disbelief of what someone else failed to do. AB smiles at what he failed to do.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

only the men's team gets outcoached with john brady.

our ladies got outplayed and with 7 minutes to go in the first half and they went to a simple 3-2 defense, I noticed our team freaked (not a dale brown reference) out. I'm not sure why this defense totally killed their rhythm but they could not figure it out. that was odd.

pokey may be a great coach now. how would we know? if she had won it all then everyone would say so. when any team loses in tourney then they're always outcoached. i dont buy that one bit. usually its one team executes what their coach asks moreso than the other.

im leaning to the side that says pokey is a great coach. her players respond/relate to her better than most any ive seen. last night was not their night.